Long wood drill bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to drill right through some softwood which is 220mm across as I want to sink in some LED lights.

I have tried drilling from both sides but it doesn't give a clean enough hole to pass the plug/cable through.

The only bits I can see in the sheds long enough are all masonary bits - would these be any good at all for going through softwood - the hole at the front will already be started with a 25mm "spade" type bit as that is what the light fittings need for their housing.

Alternatively any suggestions as to specific long bits?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Assuming your hole is just for the wiring then either get a 12" long spade bit, these go down to 8mm dia. Or get a 12" bradpoint drill, I have a set from 1/8 to 1/2" and have used then to run cables through shelves.

Axminster do individual bits 240mm long.

Rutlands do the set.

Jason

Spade biy with spade bit extensions (see bottom of page) are probably the cheapest way to drill the hole for a one off job. My 300mm extension cost the princely sum of £2.99 off the local market

Scrit

Sponsored Links
But an extension is usually 12-15mm dia so can be a bit risky on a 18-25mm shelf ;)

Jason

those arn't cheap are they :eek: but Dormer are a lot better than the imports :)

Jason

If you use a long series jobber drill, remove the drill from the hole every inch or so, to remove the wood chips, otherwise the drill will jam, heat up, and possibly even break.

You can make your own long series drill by brazing a length of the correct dia. steel rod to it.......much cheaper solution.

Cheers all for the replies.

Timber is 120mm x 220mm so no worries for coming out of the side.

Wasn't sure of terms so knowing a few more descriptive names helped in searching!!

Have drilled all the 25mm holes this evening in a couple of inches for the lights housing, ready for when long one arrives to go the rest of the way!!

Thank god it's softwood.

Will post some pics of garden thus far soon in garden forum although found a bit of an issue today :(

trazor said:
If you use a long series jobber drill, remove the drill from the hole every inch or so, to remove the wood chips, otherwise the drill will jam, heat up, and possibly even break.
Otherwise known as "peck drilling". ;)

Jason

That has a bit of an "Albertian" ring about it. Do tell more.......

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back