I never thought I'd get into DIY until...

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
trying not to be sexist here but it is that much more difficult, isn't it?.

It must be if they need to follow map directions to get to the job ;)

Har har, very funny. But no-one can provide me with accurate definitins for each tool I mentioned, or confirm whether a radiator can be easily removed on a closed system? Mmmm. My theories on male communication skills seem more accurate!

Sponsored Links
Lol, now everyone is too scared to give / don't know the answers. Totally reminds me of my plumber. :)

Well I thought you'd had some pretty good answers. But just to humour you:-

Adjustable spanner has flat jaws that will grip nuts with flats without marking them, but wont grip on irregular surfaces.

Wrench has different forms, but generally has serrated jaws for gripping smooth surfaces, but tends to mark surfaces.

Water pump pliers are a kind of wrench but with the capability to fit very large nuts due to the wide range of adjustment.

You can easily remove a radiator from a sealed (closed) system. Just close the valves at each end, loosen the nuts, drain the water from the rad, undo the nuts and lift off, spilling black sludge over your carpets in the process.

Is that good enough, or do you want me to write a whole damn dictionary of plumbing?

That's beautiful, thanks. That's all I need to know (til I come back tomorrow - you know what we're like).

Shame you're in Cuba. I'd pour you glass of my best.

Would still like to hear about my stop cock (ooo matron) though. Can I loosen that nut mentioned in my first post?

if ya trv only turns down to a snow flake it may be an old Myson or a later Comap & u can turn these down further if u remove grey & black setting pins from around the underside of the head. so it will turn off to blue circle.

GabrielKnight said:
1) I looked for a stop cock to the whole house and found something similar to this under the sink:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/329-0000?eid=0003-000092

I CANNOT turn the tap despite using loads of penetrant and a rubber hammer, but you see the hexaganal nut thing half way down the picture? - Does that need to be loosened with a spanner first to help turn the tap, or will that just cause the whole thing to fall apart and flood my house?!
You won't need to use your stop cock in order to drain the pressurised system. However, you should identify the filling loop (a) so that you can repressurise afterwards, and (b) to make sure that it's disconnected.

You've done the right thing so far, with the WD40, but if you do want to get your stop cock going at some point, then try this:
Use an adjustable spanner with jaws partially opened to straddle the handle, and use the extra moment (rotational force) to turn it. You need to have some mechanical sympathy in order to "feel" the right amount of force to apply. If it won't move, then try opening the valve using the same technique. As soon it starts to move, ease off and work the handle back and forth to loosen the scale inside. Once you have it moving nicely then shut it off. When you re-open it later, expect the gland to leak past the spindle. You can remove the gland nut and re-pack it, or replace the stop cock valve body (by isolating in the street first).

GabrielKnight said:
3) The guides I've read say that I shouldn't trust simply removing a thermostatic valve / controller on the bottom lhs of the radiator because even on the frost setting the valve might not be entirely closed. It suggests buying a 'commonly available dust cap' while doing the work. However, Googling 'radiator dust cap' comes up with nothing useful. What's this all about?! Do I need one to get one and where can I find one in the UK?
The dust cap isn't the same as a brass cap. Note also that not all valves take the same size of brass cap. The dust cap, aka decorating cap, is plastic, and comes with the valve. If you don't have it then ask the manufacturer to send you one. However, even the same make valve evolves over time and the cap might not fit. There's an alternative, which to insert a 1p piece under the TRV head and then close it - this will act as a decorators cap.

GabrielKnight said:
Lol, now everyone is too scared to give / don't know the answers. Totally reminds me of my plumber. :)
You're not very patient ;)

Just tell me what the plumber wants££ and I`ll travel up from the countryside and do the job for less :LOL: I`ve not been to the smoke for years.are the museums still free entry?.I fancy a day out:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back