Likely spanner sizing for this radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All our radiators are the same. I took the biggest spanner we had at our home which was a 21mm which was too small. I bought an adjustable spanner which ended up being too small so had to take it back.

I loaned a set of adjustables from a guy at work (18"). I don't know whether the pin is supposed to be loose but it ended up falling out as i was walking over a drain, so i don't really want to ask the guy again if i can borrow any more of his tools.

So i was going to buy a spanner to take the radiator off, or a set of adjustables, but having already spent too many journeys back & forth with incorrect tool sizes, i thought i'd now ask here in case any knowledgeable folk knew of the correct size.

If it helps, the blanking cap used on the piping is 1/2". The 18" adjustables were big enough, but they were easily big enough, so i don't need to spend extra on sizing i don't need.

So on that note - anyone know what sizing would be correct, be it spanner or adjustables, or even both?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No one on here can help you. You're a lost cause mate. :LOL:

Are you intending on leaving the borrowed wrench you damaged back to the owner in an inoperable condition?
Just be hopeful he doesn't kosh you over the head with it. :LOL:

Buy a pair the same as the one you borrowed, then you can give them back to you mate when you've finished

Sponsored Links
No one on here can help you. You're a lost cause mate. :LOL:

Are you intending on leaving the borrowed wrench you damaged back to the owner in an inoperable condition?
Just be hopeful he doesn't kosh you over the head with it. :LOL:
Thank you for your helpful response.

Buy a pair the same as the one you borrowed, then you can give them back to you mate when you've finished
I would, but then i know 18" was overkill it turned out. I could get the biggest set on the market at the highest cost, but then that's going OTT & just costs more than it needs to.

As for those more concerned about the chap at work :confused: - i offered to replace & he said don't worry about it as he has a pin to fix them.

I keep one of these in the bag fits all the rad nuts I come across Bahco are the best adjustables I have had :D

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-9031-ergo-wide-jaw-adjustable-wrench-8/38428[/QUOTE]Aye it was a big Bahco one he had. The 8" ones generally do the job then?

What are trying to do mate? Remove a valve, air valve or plug??
Well i'll be removing the radiator (to strip wallpaper behind), tightening the valves & eventually re-fitting it.

Go for the 9031 and the 6" 9029 as per footprints advice......I don't do adjustable spanners but I wouldn't be without these.
Wide and slim jaws....brilliant.
John :)

That'll do nicely.

And to save me from creating another thread just for this while we're on the topic of radiators....

All the radiators in our house are the same in terms of bleeding (they all take that butterfly-like key) except for 2, which look like this...

How do you correctly do (bleed) that?

I've tried turning the plastic piece & i've tried putting a screwdriver into the slit you see on the end. I don't want to be too hard with it & break something so would rather catch flack for asking than shell out money on repairing. Does the plastic piece need turning or the metal bit need a screwdriver in it? Or am i off the mark altogether?

Go for the 9031 and the 6" 9029 as per footprints advice......I don't do adjustable spanners but I wouldn't be without these.
Wide and slim jaws....brilliant.
John :)

The AM TECH ones that are similar are 1/3rd of the price & just as good.
eBay or Amazon is your first port of call for these items at a keen priced.
I use both spanners every day in my capacity as a Plumber.
HTH

That'll do nicely.

And to save me from creating another thread just for this while we're on the topic of radiators....

All the radiators in our house are the same in terms of bleeding (they all take that butterfly-like key) except for 2, which look like this...

How do you correctly do (bleed) that?

I've tried turning the plastic piece & i've tried putting a screwdriver into the slit you see on the end. I don't want to be too hard with it & break something so would rather catch flack for asking than shell out money on repairing. Does the plastic piece need turning or the metal bit need a screwdriver in it? Or am i off the mark altogether?

It's bleed by turning the centre air valve pin, just like a normal radiator mate.
Just out of interest for anyone reading this thread, most convector modern panel radiators like the one in the photo; these air valves & plugs can be fitted or removed with a 22mm socket or spanner.
HTH

normal butterfly key that you`ve got ;)
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I didn't even bother trying it because it just looked different :oops: :oops: :oops:

& 1mm out on the spanners. Damn. My brother has a 22mm spanner, or rather he has a space in his tool box where it used to live.

Haha, you were bang on. The only thing i noticed is when tightening that back up it felt really soft, like working with aluminium. Whereas the other ones tightened up & felt pretty solid, that one just seemed to have no resistance. I didn't want to push it too far in case i bust it, but it's tightened up enough now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back