I see the frogs have bottled it.

But a shrinking one in terms of output.

Ah the good old brexit trope

"EU is shrinking, we must leave"

EU is not shrinking in terms of output

there are emerging economies that are making the rest of the world grow faster.

like China

1980 gdp $200 billion
2019 gdp $14 trillion

If you think the "EU is shrinking" try the same argument with the USA

Sponsored Links
Both sides will suffer but we won’t be burning lorry tyres on the rail lines or rioting. The French will.

the UK government assessment for no deal includes.....civil unrest.

mostly crying brexiteers because their unicorns never arrived

Ah the good old brexit trope

"EU is shrinking, we must leave"

EU is not shrinking in terms of output

there are emerging economies that are making the rest of the world grow faster.

like China

1980 gdp $200 billion
2019 gdp $14 trillion

If you think the "EU is shrinking" try the same argument with the USA

Why are you conflagrating that statement by implying I support brexit? For the record I don't.

I was simply pointing out that in terms of world market share the EU is becoming less important. The graph clearly shows that the EU % "contribution" to the world economy has halved in 40 years.

EU GDP

european-union-gdp.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The graph clearly shows that the EU % "contribution" to the world economy has halved in 40 years.
Christ - that’s about how long we’ve been in the 'EU' for. We should have got out sooner!

the UK government assessment for no deal includes.....civil unrest. mostly crying brexiteers because their unicorns never arrived
What's expected apart from lengthy que's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you conflagrating that statement by implying I support brexit? For the record I don't.

I was simply pointing out that in terms of world market share the EU is becoming less important. The graph clearly shows that the EU % "contribution" to the world economy has halved in 40 years.

EU GDP

View attachment 214843
Im not conflagrating, it is a well worn brexit argument, fondly used by Daniel Hannon etc

"the EUs global share of GDP is shrinking, therefore we must leave"

so by implication:

the USAs share of world gdp is also shrinking "therefore we mustnt trade with them anymore"

But you said the EU is shrinking in terms of output.....which is demonstrably different from world share of gdp shrinking

in any case gdp is not really a very useful metric

...the EU % "contribution" to the world economy has halved in 40 years...

The EU's "contribution" however has massively increased.

Instead of being one of a few rich men in a village of paupers and beggars, Europe now has more neighbours who have bettered themselves and are prospering.

That is not a bad thing.

Im not conflagrating, it is a well worn brexit argument, fondly used by Daniel Hannon etc

"the EUs global share of GDP is shrinking, therefore we must leave"

so by implication:

the USAs share of world gdp is also shrinking "therefore we mustnt trade with them anymore"

But you said the EU is shrinking in terms of output.....which is demonstrably different from world share of gdp shrinking

in any case gdp is not really a very useful metric

Which metric do you prefer?

Sponsored Links
Back