i think i may have asbestos in mykitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone i need help urgently i have just pulled up the lino in my kitchen which was put in before i moved in but underneath the lino had been glued to these black tiles which im guessin are either very old or are of course asbestos a few of them started to snap as i was pulling the lino up but there was no dust whatsoever i am very worried as i have a little girl who also lives with me can anyone help me with my querie and tell me what it is i have got on my floor thank you

Sponsored Links
Unless the fibres are visible and fly up when you mess with them I don't see there being a problem. That's if they are made with asbestos in the first place. If you remove them simply wet them before you do so and they are then harmless.

hello everyone i need help urgently i have just pulled up the lino in my kitchen which was put in before i moved in but underneath the lino had been glued to these black tiles which im guessin are either very old or are of course asbestos a few of them started to snap as i was pulling the lino up but there was no dust whatsoever i am very worried as i have a little girl who also lives with me can anyone help me with my querie and tell me what it is i have got on my floor thank you
hi i am a builder they do contain asbestos but only a small quantity if any doubts have a contractor remove it, may be costly but will put your mind at rest. alternatly go on the website and that will have all the imformation required

As an asbestos qualified handler, if you are worried, then simply use a good dust mask and gloves and dampen them before removal then place in strong plastic bags and take to local recycling centre(dump)and put in relevant skip.

Sponsored Links
If these tiles are stuck using black adhesive, then the chances are they are old thermoplastic tiles (original vinyl). Very few of these type of tiles ever contained asbestos. If you see no fibrous materials in the snapped pieces then Just chop em up and throw them away

safe as houses mate.

theres probably asbestos in the coving,artex,paint etc etc etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back