I think too much...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After seeing the word "moped" used in a few posts here, I got to thinking where the word comes from. What I reckon is motor+pedestrian, as they are motorised and relatively pedestrian. ;) Or perhaps pedes, i.e. feet, hence the legal requirement for pedals in the past.

But then I thought "Don't US dictionaries spell most Greek words with an E in place of the correct AE?"

So "pedophile" surely means one who has a love of feet? One to bare in mind next time you hear this word, they might just be talking about someone who loves the smell of socks rather than one who demands to know if you want to be in their gang, their gang, their gang.

By the same corruption, does the word "moped" in the US mean "motorised child"? :eek: Perhaps similar to a "robo-sapien" (note to parents, you will probably be asked for one of these for Christmas, but don't worry, they are great fun and freak the hell out of cats!)

Of course, the lexicologists among you will point out that paedo is of greek origin and pedes is of latin origin, but both cultures turned out noted poets, so I feel entitled to some poetic licence! :p

Sponsored Links
Adam, some advice. DO NOT go near Beachy Head. DO NOT have razor blades in your bathroom and DO NOT put your head in a gas oven. It sounds like you are close to a breakdown mate ;)

So I guess I should no longer test how well my oven has been cleaned by sticking my head in there and shaving in the clean and polished enamel, often whilst holidaying in Eastbourne? ;)

In the same vain, I was having a conversation with the wife the other day, in which I suggested, "Odour Toilette" translates to "smell of the toilet". She then pointed out that it is spelt "Eau De Toilette". So it's actually Water from the toilet :eek: Why would people want to put that behind their ears?.

Another word that I find kinda funny is "Precarious". Perhaps it's meaining is derived from it's potential to be spelt PrickHairyArs*. Yes, I've been known to think too much as well. ;)

Sponsored Links
And now! back to the Rhinoceros, the richest beast in the animal kingdom.

Rhino = money

Sorearse = piles

hence.....

PILES OF MONEY !

I think I agree.

I think you do. :eek:

BTW You're prob to much a young whippersnapper to remember the original mopeds. You had to pedal to get them started and, if you tried to go up too steep a gradient or ran out of fuel........ you pedalled (now that don't look right? but it's late so who cares.) :LOL:

You got me feeling all sentimental, so had a look for the first bike I had on the road (3rd) restored at the age of 15.

This was the Suzuki A50 which was the non-pedal version of the AP50:
Piccie

75cc big bore kit - DIY "ported", modified disc valve, K&N air filter, micron exhaust and re-geared... :p Happy days...

Good for about 50, 55 on the flat!

Always wanted an Kawasaki AR80...Mmmmm :D

Should have held on to them... (had three in the end!)
http://www.vintagecollectibles.co.uk/suz-bikes.htm
£375!

Ooooh, showing your age there, judging that the Vauxhall Chevette (or is it a Viva?) in the background looks pretty new!

Any news yet?

IanDB said:
No, that should be PAEDALLED. :LOL:

I think that's something altogether different...

Adam said:
Ooooh, showing your age there, judging that the Vauxhall Chevette (or is it a Viva?) in the background looks pretty new!

Any news yet?

:evil: :D
It's a 'Shove-it' i think! Not a Vulva (every &*^%'s got one!)

No news yet... :cry:

Yes, it is a Chevette, and I'd have a stab at 1980-onwards.

Unless my eyeballs are playing up, it looks like it has protruding headlights, rather than the recessed ones of the earlier models.

Motor pedal > moped Honda got round the rules somewhat with the SS50 which had lockable pedals that faced the same way when locked and acted as footrests but could be unlocked and used as (not very effective) pedals

kendor said:
Motor pedal > moped Honda got round the rules somewhat with the SS50 which had lockable pedals that faced the same way when locked and acted as footrests but could be unlocked and used as (not very effective) pedals

As did Yamaha with the Fizzy (FS1E). Ahhhh memories of a misspent yoof. :cry:

securespark said:
Yes, it is a Chevette, and I'd have a stab at 1980-onwards.

Unless my eyeballs are playing up, it looks like it has protruding headlights, rather than the recessed ones of the earlier models.

Hmmm, anyone know when the law on Black and white/silver number plates came out? Might make the car older, might not. Me? Bored?? Never. :LOL:

Sponsored Links