I want to add sockets but....

Sponsored Links
Once the RCD is fitted alongside the retrofitted MCB's will the consumer unit then be to current regs?

The RCD is fitted to the socket circuits only, NOT the entire board (314.1 refers to installations not having a single point of failure, which would be the result of a single RCD installed in the supply tails for the fuseboard).

Appropriately sized cable from the existing 30A fuse to the RCD, then both ends of the ring connect to the RCD.

How far apart from the original socket are you intending to put the new ones?

If, say, they were to be about an inch or so, you may be able to get a 4 galv conduit couplers and some bushes, fix the old and new back boxes rigidly together, cable through these and no need for the RCD.

Sponsored Links
It won't matter how close together the sockets are, or what cable is used, or how the cable is installed.
All socket outlets require RCD protection.

It won't matter how close together the sockets are, or what cable is used, or how the cable is installed.

ah, the old sweeping generalisation again..

411.3.3 Additional protection

In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with Regulation 415.1 shall be provided for:

(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use, and
(ii) mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32A for use outdoors.

An exception to (i) is permitted for:
(a) socket-outlets for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons, e.g. in some commercial or industrial locations, or
(b) a specific labeled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment.

Oops, yea :oops: i was thinking 'rcd for buried cable' and a cheaper way of dealing with it.
kinda overlooked the 'its for sockets' bit.

To the OP,

Do you need 4 socket outlets in every corner? Would 3 be enough?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12362...s/Clipsal-Converta-Skt-2G-to-3G-Polycarbonate

just a thought

That's a good idea, but why not use the 2 to 4 gang version?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/60887...s/Socket-Converters/1G-to-4G-Sw-Skt-Converter

This will give him the 4 sockets he wanted. I've installed a couple of these, but find they look a bit chunky, but mine are hidden by furniture.

It would mean no chasing, new cable etc. Sometimes a bit fiddly to screw down, but solved by using longer screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back