I want to remove a storage heater but don't really know how to do it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought a flat with central heating, but there is a disused storage heater still installed in the bedroom. It is in a pretty annoying place in the wall so I'd like to be able to remove it if possible. The cabling for it goes into the wall rather than to a socket.

It looks like it might be from around the 60s (when the property was built) but there doesn't seem to be a manufacturer or model name anywhere.

I don't really know the first thing about this type of thing.

Would anyone be able to advise the best way to do so?

I've attached a picture of the storage heater.

Thank you in advance for any help and guidance!

IMG_8423.JPG

Sponsored Links
At a quick look, it seems to be a Myson radiator, the unit is plumbed into central heating if it is, there are very good, and expensive, some times real heating and cooling some times cooling means fan only, it may be there is no plumbing as it is simply a wall mounted fan heater, mine had two screws at side once removed the front would lift off.

That is a dimplex fan heater, not a storage heater. You first of all need to find out where the supply
cable comes from. It looks to go through the wall. Is the a fused connection unit on the other side of the wall or somewhere near by?

Sponsored Links
That’s good! Switch the heater on and make sure the isolator definitely controls the heater. If it does, you need to go to your consumer unit / fuse box and identify which circuit the isolator is supplied from.

OK, the fused unit definitely controls it, and I have identified the circuit. That circuit is now switched off.

Rich
With the power off at the fuse box, open the fused isolator (unscrew front plate) and remove the cable that goes to the heater (unscew its brass screws (but not the others) and pull heater cable full out from fused isolator.
Leave the other cable/s as they are.
Close the fused isolator (re-unscrew front plate).
Switch on power at fuse box.
See if heater lights up or not as you switch isolator on and off. If heater does not light up as it did before you have sucessfuly removed it from the mains and you can remove heater from the wall.
I then tend to remove fuse from fused isolator just to show to myself that no longer in use.

If in ANY way worried about electric being live in the isolator get an electrition in to remove the wire from the isolator. They can also check to see if they can change the fused isolator to a single socket which might be useful for you.
SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back