I was only 18

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I said I'd put the shelves up in my brothers bedroom. So I set about the wall with my dads new hammer drill and wondered why the wall was hard to drill for a bit then it seemed really easy.

I put all the shelves up, took me nearly all day with all the wall tracks and that. I had a tidy up and went in the bathroom (next room) and I think you might guess what I saw..

.. ALL the holes I drilled had come straight through DOH. Needless to say, the old man had a blue fit and I was banned from DIY until I'd learned to check the thickness of walls before I drilled into them ;)

Sponsored Links
LOL i did the same years ago, ended up with a screw sticking out the wall in my parents room! My t.v never fell down tho!

i did that in a customers house when replacing a towel rad. fortunatley the guy was able to laugh about it.... cos my boss came round straight away to sort out the repairs.

haha. i done a similar thing when sinking a 47mm metel backbox while 1st fixing electrics, drilled a fixing and the bloody drill went straight through into the lounge. All 1960 retro wallpaper so i moved one of the pictures on the wall to hide the hole.. that was 7years ago! noone ever said anything!

Sponsored Links
went to see my dad over christmas, he was chuffed as he was just about to finish the decorating of the small toilet and the bedroom next to it..

shame whilst I was there he decided to flatten a lump in the corner of the wall with a hammer..... turned out it was the remains of a water feed pipe which had at one time also serviced the basin (long since removed) in the freshly plastered bedroom next door..

well first blow of hammer didnt do anything so he gave it a proper pop.

all we heard was a loud thud form the room next door as he punched the other part of the pipe out from its resting place behind the new plaster like a magnum bullet leaving a 1 inch entry hole and a 1ft exit hole...

promptly followed by a huge chunk of wall falling out where he'd just twacked it with the hammer in the toilet itself..

he'll learn one day about old bits of pipe its not the first times hes done this

I fitted some accessories in a friends bathroom, towel rail, loo roll etc using plasterboard fixings. Thats the large self drilling screw in things that take a standard screw.
The bathroom backs onto the kitchen and is 2 steps higher.

Job done and into the kitchen for a cuppa to see a series of fixings sticking out of the wall.

A single skin of plasterboard had been tacked onto the back of the kitchen units. The surface mount sockets had been fixed with no more nails.

My friend had been there for around 20 years!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back