I wasn't expecting that!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Needed to drill some holes through joists for a lump of 6mm T & E for a new shower. My trusty flat bits struggle through the 200 year old Douglas fir so thought I'd treat myself to some shiny new bits- these puppies http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow.../sd1120/Quad+Cutter+Wood+Drill+Bit+Set/p55369 (I've use the 14mm version very successfully previously).

But then it all went poo- using a 90 degree chuck (so the holes are horizontal so the cables pull through easily and the hole actually is on the centreline) I couldn't hold the drill or the chuck thing still cos the torque needed by the bit as it pulled itself into the wood was too high.

Scratches head.Thinks-these bits have a hex end that look as if they'll fit my impact driver, which is short enough to sit between the joists and drill level. It'll never work but let's give it a go.

So tried it. Very noisy but works very very well- nice clean horizontal hole, no push on the drill needed, the things pull themselves into the wood. No idea how long the bits will last subjected to this abuse but what a result!

Just thought I'd share :)

Sponsored Links
My trusty flat bits struggle through the 200 year old Douglas fir so thought I'd treat myself to some shiny new bits- these puppies http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow.../sd1120/Quad+Cutter+Wood+Drill+Bit+Set/p55369 ... But then it all went poo- using a 90 degree chuck (so the holes are horizontal so the cables pull through easily and the hole actually is on the centreline) I couldn't hold the drill or the chuck thing still cos the torque needed by the bit as it pulled itself into the wood was too high.
IME, that's often the problem with those sorts of bits on hard woods - the 'screwed' part at the tip pulls the drill into the wood far faster than the cutting faces can cut hard wood, with the result you experienced. That type of drill was originally developed for much slower use (hand drills!). Although slower, flat bits are often/usually (again, IME) the best solution in hard wood.

Kind Regards, John

The bosch selfuctters are IMO the best wood bits on the market, they're the perfect combination of flat bit and auger bit, and they just fly through any type of wood. Mine have probably done 1000 holes, hit a few nails each and are still going strong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back