I will try anything

O

onlyagirl

I have filled every void and gap, repaired every broken floorboard, there is carpet on the floors, draught excluders on every door, upvc windows have been refoamed and resealed inside and out but there are still draughts EVERYWHERE, upstairs and downstairs. I wish I had not bought this house. I have spent over two thousand pounds just trying to get it sealed up and draught proof, but to no avail. I am cold all the time, even the dog was shivering this morning as he jumped into my bed; i've never known him to shiver with cold; his paws were like ice.

I have contacted the government energy trust advice centre, my energy suppliers, various 'experts' who have not helped (see my other thread), I don't know where to turn. I have asked the neighbours of similar houses if they have any problems their replies were; 'I only feel a draught in the conservatory, but otherwise it's fine', and from another lady who lives in the same style of house 'it's the warmest house I've ever lived in'.

I am sitting here now with a freezing cold shoulder from a draught that seems to be coming from a new window I had fitted two days ago, so that was a waste of money!

I do not know what to do or who to turn to. I was brought up in a massive victorian terrace with no central heating; it was cold, yes, but not draughty, so I do know about cold houses. This house has a new boiler, radiators that get red hot, double glazing, ceilings are only slightly higher than a modern house, it's only two bedrooms and semi detached.

I can feel cold air swirling around my face and feet with the heat on! Cold air seems to come through the walls.

Has anybody got any ideas at all. Anything! Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
So what happens when you try to locate where the draughts are coming from? Surely you can feel it rushing in through certain gaps and whatnot?

A couple of (hopefully) non patronising questions....
Your radiators may well be red hot - but are they big enough for the property? Keep the heating on all day, rather than allowing it to be off and then boosting it when you are in;
How much wool insulation is there in the loft?
Are there any open fireplaces?
John :)

Hi
Draughts are notoriously difficult to pinpoint but I would light a candle and on a windy day go around where you suspect the worst Draughts are coming from and put a post it note by the areas then go back over them with a tube of caulk or silicone sealant and plug the gaps.
You may need to do this a couple of times as the wind will filter through smaller and smaller holes , but you will get there!!
Another thing to consider is that Victorian houses can be draughty under the floorboards due to the air bricks , so it might pay you to line the floor with hardboard then underlay and carpet.

I hope this helps
Mike

Sponsored Links
candles are prone to start fires. A joss stick is safer, watch the smoke rising from it.

Some people smoke cigarettes, which can also be used.

The back of your hand is sensitive to heat and will often detect a cold draught.

I said I've plugged all the gaps. It's a bigger issue going on with this house. It's an absolute joke. I hope I can sue someone for this. It's like living in a tent. I starting to think there is no bricks in the wall.

even with the gaps filled, you will get a cold current of air flowing down the glass of a window when it is cold outside. Double glazing reduces heat loss, but does not eliminate it, and it will always lose more than a wall. How thick are your curtains?

If you tell us the temperatures inside and outside your house, and how much gas you use during the winter (from the meter readings, not the payments) it may help.

In your bedroom, for example, what size is the room, what size is the radiator, and what size is the window? How many hours a day is the CH running?

You do need to keep the internal doors shut when the heating is on.

I previously had a four bedroom detached house and I didn't have problems like this. It's nothing to do with curtains and shutting doors and thermal currents. I have lived in a houses all my life so I do understand about these things, and your answers are patronising.

It sounds as though your starting to blame forum members for your problems.

I previously had a four bedroom detached house and I didn't have problems like this. It's nothing to do with curtains and shutting doors and thermal currents. I have lived in a houses all my life so I do understand about these things, and your answers are patronising.
Not a good response when people are trying to help you, if I may be so bold.

I know what you need

ghostbusters-2016.png

because no man can seem to help you!

I said I've plugged all the gaps. It's a bigger issue going on with this house. It's an absolute joke. I hope I can sue someone for this. It's like living in a tent. I starting to think there is no bricks in the wall.

In the short term , why not get a couple of fan heaters to help while you are trying to find the root causes and long term solutions.
I know they are not terribly energy efficient but if you spend most of your time in one or two rooms ( the lounge and the bedroom) then at least those rooms will be heated to a tolerable level and you only have to have them on for a hour at a time .

Try not to despair as some solutions take a little time.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back