I would like a replacement valve, not a new boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30 year old Ideal Mexico boiler needing a replacement Honeywell valve V4600A 1023 2. No one seems interested in coming to fit one. I explain the fault and say I don't want someone to come along and say I need a new boiler. Am I asking too much? The fault is that the magnetic hold coil that the thermocouple feeds has gone open circuit presumably due to overtightening of the thermocouple nut. I might add that I have seen the complexity of the modern boiler/s with what is in effect built-in obsolescence, and I am not impressed. Chester resident.

Dennis

Sponsored Links
I do not understand why not. What type of firm are you phoning? And sometimes a tradesman will be turned off by the perceived attirude of the caller.

• Thanks
Reactions: DH6
Judging by your OP, OP... I think you're the problem and not the boiler/valve!
In your line of work, if you are not retired/unemployed/between jobs/etc, would you enjoy being told what needs to be done by someone not trained or employed in your field?
If you called me with that spiel, I'd be far "too busy" to come to your aid!

Just make sure you have the required ventilation before you get a fix (y), I've come across many without it , also if your not impressed with modern boilers ..... have you thought about getting a parkray fitted ?

Sponsored Links
No offense, but I find that an innocent reply. I originally posted this on "Trade Talk" but got moved and lost a reply from TonyW2. Just to set the picture, I am an ex engineer in electronic control systems mainly in the electrical industry and power stations. I help anyone though asks, but don't tout and don't normally bother with forums. I have seen quite a few central heating systems and have to say that their complexity, quality and inbuilt obsolescence does not encourage me to want a modern one. The boiler I have is over 30 years old, has a permanent pilot light (supposedly costly), and costs me next to nothing to keep going. In the summer when its only heating the hot water (it's cheaper than the immersion heater) and with gas cooking as well, my gas bill is well under £100 a quarter. To me I would never make up the difference in cost of a replacement if it is only going to last 10-15years, after which it has had (say) several new fans, replacement control boards, rusted though baffle plates, etc, etc, all with associated callout and fitting costs. The industry in this and other fields is one big gravy train. In the specific case of c/h boilers it is very much in the interests of those involved to push replacements as in;

1. They are cheaper to run. Labour man - Prescot has a lot to answer for there.
2. They are more efficient and more environmentally friendly. Labour man - Prescot has even more to answer for there. He effectively forced the latest compulsory ridiculous version on everyone.
2. Cannot get the parts. The valve I want is readily available.
4. Save you money. How does a £1000-2000 bill, plus the ongoing breakdown and/or contract costs save anything like the outlay?

I am sure I could add to that list, but my main point is that if everyone can be pushed into "the modern domain" then Corgi engineers and anyone else involved have it made. I recon that if they got their way the whole country would have full central heating system replacements every 12 years on average. Bit like Estate Agents churning houses.
In many cases where the gas piping is involved I have advised people to call in a Corgi engineer and in virtually every case they have been talked into a new boiler or other bits they absolutely did not need.

Take the case of thermostatic valves on radiators, just as a related aside. These stick shut if you don't open them fully (to high heat setting) when you turn the heating off in the spring. The summer temperatures drive them hard closed if left set low. It is too much temptation to many engineers to say new valves are required, and such valves may well get "recycled" to the next such customer.

Please don't come back at me for ignoring the environment and the planet, etc. The loss of entropy (google or dictionary that if lost) to the planet in having to manufacture all the required additional/extra items (even the replacement light fittings because we can't get the bulbs any more) far outweigh any energy savings in terms of what is left of our resources.

To come back to my original post. Yes, "I said to people I want a valve" and I told them exactly what is wrong with it internally, and if all you are doing is coming intent on selling me a new boiler, then don't bother. Two said they would get back to me, the rest said they needed to come and see it first, which in the one sense is a fair comment.

the problem was that the boiler was working fine until a low gas pressure situation put the whole local area down. A man turned up the next day to purge local lines and I left him by the gas meter telling him where the boiler was. He was in my house for an indeterminate time before I realised and he said the thermocouple was faulty. I had tested that before I realised that the gas was off, and told him so. At that point he did seem to leave rather quickly! The fault is that the thermocouple connection has been overtightened (either by him or me to be fair but.......) and damaged the solenoid coil inside the valve.

So I am not amused.

I haven't read all of what you have said because it's literally a novel ,,,, however if you can keep it running then do it , boilers of that era are built like tanks ,,,, you pay a bit more in gas but a **** loads less in parts ,,, my nan has a back boiler probs fitted in 1960's , it's still going , I fit a thermo couple 6 years ago serviced it ,,,, she hasn't had a service since a no she refuses a free one( she also has about 3 fookin dogs ) , " if it's not broke don't touch it " was her approach

Just for the record and those who are clearly in the trade. I never put any restriction on cost or what I expected to pay and none of those involved attempted to advise me of their likely costs. I also made it clear that I do not touch the gas pipe side of things, which should be obvious as am not buying the part and doing it myself. I only needed to do the electrical side to determine the fault. Perhaps I should have said that I have found a straight talking man who is coming tomorrow, and we have not touched cost at all. This is winter, it is not the cost, it is getting it fixed and not being off for longer than is necessary. New valve, say 2hrs max on site. New boiler, days. I don't see any in the trade refuting what I have said.

I expect that you've just got hold of engineers that aren't as qualified as you, and aren't prepared to admit that they can't repair an older boiler. Best of luck, and update us for the sheer hell of it.

No offense, but I find that an innocent reply. I originally posted this on "Trade Talk" but got moved and lost a reply from TonyW2. Just to set the picture, I am an ex engineer in electronic control systems mainly in the electrical industry and power stations. I help anyone though asks, but don't tout and don't normally bother with forums. I have seen quite a few central heating systems and have to say that their complexity, quality and inbuilt obsolescence does not encourage me to want a modern one. The boiler I have is over 30 years old, has a permanent pilot light (supposedly costly), and costs me next to nothing to keep going. In the summer when its only heating the hot water (it's cheaper than the immersion heater) and with gas cooking as well, my gas bill is well under £100 a quarter. To me I would never make up the difference in cost of a replacement if it is only going to last 10-15years, after which it has had (say) several new fans, replacement control boards, rusted though baffle plates, etc, etc, all with associated callout and fitting costs. The industry in this and other fields is one big gravy train. In the specific case of c/h boilers it is very much in the interests of those involved to push replacements as in;

1. They are cheaper to run. Labour man - Prescot has a lot to answer for there.
2. They are more efficient and more environmentally friendly. Labour man - Prescot has even more to answer for there. He effectively forced the latest compulsory ridiculous version on everyone.
2. Cannot get the parts. The valve I want is readily available.
4. Save you money. How does a £1000-2000 bill, plus the ongoing breakdown and/or contract costs save anything like the outlay?

I am sure I could add to that list, but my main point is that if everyone can be pushed into "the modern domain" then Corgi engineers and anyone else involved have it made. I recon that if they got their way the whole country would have full central heating system replacements every 12 years on average. Bit like Estate Agents churning houses.
In many cases where the gas piping is involved I have advised people to call in a Corgi engineer and in virtually every case they have been talked into a new boiler or other bits they absolutely did not need.

Take the case of thermostatic valves on radiators, just as a related aside. These stick shut if you don't open them fully (to high heat setting) when you turn the heating off in the spring. The summer temperatures drive them hard closed if left set low. It is too much temptation to many engineers to say new valves are required, and such valves may well get "recycled" to the next such customer.

Please don't come back at me for ignoring the environment and the planet, etc. The loss of entropy (google or dictionary that if lost) to the planet in having to manufacture all the required additional/extra items (even the replacement light fittings because we can't get the bulbs any more) far outweigh any energy savings in terms of what is left of our resources.

To come back to my original post. Yes, "I said to people I want a valve" and I told them exactly what is wrong with it internally, and if all you are doing is coming intent on selling me a new boiler, then don't bother. Two said they would get back to me, the rest said they needed to come and see it first, which in the one sense is a fair comment.

the problem was that the boiler was working fine until a low gas pressure situation put the whole local area down. A man turned up the next day to purge local lines and I left him by the gas meter telling him where the boiler was. He was in my house for an indeterminate time before I realised and he said the thermocouple was faulty. I had tested that before I realised that the gas was off, and told him so. At that point he did seem to leave rather quickly! The fault is that the thermocouple connection has been overtightened (either by him or me to be fair but.......) and damaged the solenoid coil inside the valve.

So I am not amused.

I agree with 90% of what you have written.

Telling people you don't want someone who is going to just try to sell you a new boiler is very offensive - it comes across as you assuming everyone is a rogue trader and having no faith in the person on the end of the phone, and makes you sound like you'll be a very awkward customer who will be staring over the engineer's shoulder all the time. That's enough to put a lot of tradesmen off I'm afraid. Change your attitude and you might get more joy

Telling people you don't want someone who is going to just try to sell you a new boiler is very offensive - it comes across as you assuming everyone is a rogue trader and having no faith in the person on the end of the phone,
I think that it's a perfectly valid and honest statement.

your gas valve is more commonly known in the trade as a Honeywell grey button gas valve and readily available, dont see why you would have a problem getting someone to change it, I have loads in stock, havent changed one for years but they are readily available

Well I am glad I don't live in Hertfordshire or Potters Bar just to single out a couple of disagreeable people that joined in. My valve is changed (within 24 hrs of me ringing them) by an excellent company who of course did all their own basic checks before agreeing with me on the fault. I did not originally make contact with them because they are 30 miles away, but had heard of them.
Paid in full immediately along with my material thanks. I now have it from the horses mouth that the current crop of boilers will die in 8 to 15 years! So taking the longer 15 years as an indicator and an average outlay of £1500 for the replacements (plus all the breakdowns an disruption in between), one needs to save the very minimum of £100 a year on gas bills. More like 200 a year in reality. So come on you wingers about my rant. Make your case with solid facts about the replacement boilers you are now (admittedly forced to be) fitting instead of just one-liners. Put up or shut up, but of course you won't will you.

If an old cast iron boiler brick is functional with no water leaks or other material problems that render it dead, then any proper engineer can and will fix it if that is what the customer requests. He won't make as much profit out of it and any on-going work he receives will be less profitable as well.

I joined this forum yesterday because I was displeased with what I was finding. I have made my case and proved it thanks to an honest company, not on the make and ensuring future trade for themselves. Some of the responses received proved the starting point on their own. I doubt I shall be responding anymore. I am now away to write a glowing report on various sites about an excellent service received.

I dont know if any of the last 3 pages is still on track to the original post post but if somebody asked me to go and fit a gas valve they had diagnosed I would happily do it and then ask the customer to light it. if it worked I'd take the money and go, if it didnt I'd take the money and advise on my diagnostic fee if required.

Ah, so is there some kind of GasSafe question I should have asked them all? "Are You qualified for work on old cast iron bricks" perhaps. None of them said they couldn't/wouldn't be able to fix it. Are you prepared to enlighten me further on this RGI/GasSafe thing?
gassafe competancy list.jpg

Gas Boiler 31/03/10 indicates that the holder is allowed ( by GasSafe qualification ) to work on domestic gas boilers. There is no restriction on the types of boilers. The holder is allowed to work on any domestic boiler, from a old cast iron brick to the most complex modulating boiler with weather prediction because ( it is assumed ) that he or she will not do anything that creates a hazardous gas related situation.

The GasSafe permit to work on boilers is based on safe working practises and has little if anything to say about the holder's competance in boiler repairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back