Would this wind you up? (Boiler servicing)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ideal mexico floorstanding boiler. It's a trusted friend requiring only thermocouples (and a new gas valve last year). Now I've always had boiler cover (BG first, then EON) - but I've decided to self insure and have an independent coming in a couple of weeks to service boiler and gas fire. (BG/EON seemed to take longer and longer to be able to come out).

Now, I've been thinking - seen as it's common failure seems to be a thermocouple every couple of years or so why don't I just get a new one in at every service? My question is would this add a large cost to a service and would it bug you RGIs if a customer suggested it (don't want to seem as if I'm telling someone how to do their job...) It seems as though this is the weak link on this boiler so if the part's not expensive and the fitter is in there anyway why not change annually?? It wasn't changed routinely on previous services, I know that much. I'd rather pay a bit more than have the inconvenience of thermocouple failure requiring a call out between services, if you see what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with you, as a rule I always fit a new t/couple on old plodders when giving a service. Saves the embarrasement of getting a call 6 weeks after event.

Wouldn't bother me at all. Normally change them anyway if they fail within 15 seconds. :)

When i first started and nearly all boilers i came across had thermocouples it was standard to change them each service ,now i offer it to change it for the cost of the thrmocouple at time of service but im usally met with " here we go tryng to sell me parts i dont need " kinda response so i dont bother.

Sponsored Links
Your mistake is asking the customer - Have you ever been asked by a car mechanic if he can fit a new Air Filter or spark plugs when having a car Serviced I know I hav'nt I would be p****d off if the garage had not changed these parts TBH

When servicing Boilers I apply the following rule
Oil - Oil line filter element - Replaced. Oil Nozzle - Replaced.

Gas - Thermocouple -Replaced
if a Keston with a paper air filter - Replaced
Ignition & Flame rectification probes (if in poor shape) - Replace

Generally if the part is more than £20 we would ask for authority to replace but cheapo items Just do it!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back