New boiler or service of old one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is late 70's floorstander, an Ideal E-CF60. It works fine but it's time for its service.
Everyone I've spoken to (outside the trade) is horrified that a gas boiler this old is still in use and tells me to get it changed. However my father has a boiler from around 1972 that is regularly serviced and plods on with just minor parts, a fan capacitor here, jet, thermostat etc.

What do the professionals think? Can an old boiler still be maintained (It's had 1 new pump and 5 thermocouples in its life) without it being an excuse to sell me a new condenser boiler?

My worry is that the guy who services it might see it as more lucrative to write it off when it can be successfully serviced.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic but in the electrical appliance trade, I see otherwise genuine people who happily scrap stuff that's repairable because they dont have the time or inclination to search for the right parts when replacement is easier and more profitable for them...they're businessmen!

Sponsored Links
While these boiler will keep going for ever, it does mean you're wasting money, with an awful lot of heat & money disappearing up the flue!! A new high efficiency condensing boiler, while a lot more complex, will save you a lot of money.

What is very important is the insulation of your home, ensure you have your loft well insulated for starters.

my regular gas guy installs baxi (just done one for a mate). Are they a good bet ? A few years ago another mate had nothing but trouble with his, something to do with flow switches. As an engineer I like to see stuff made to last!

Sponsored Links
These are normally the boiler of choice with most installers in the know.
Limited moving parts & lots of redeeming features;
http://www.intergasheating.co.uk

Lots of modern boilers are much of a muchness. The Baxi/Potterton is a mid range reliable boiler, with lots of internal metal where others use plastic!!!
HTH

Yes a new boiler will save on gas. However a lot of those savings will be lost in the replacement costs of new boiler, controls,pipework and poss other work needed to put in a modern condenser. Then there's the cost of more frequent repairs and the cost of parts - some of which can be surprisingly expensive. The savings on gas will be a lot less than you originally thought.

Some of my customers cling onto their ancient, cast iron hex gas guzzlers - because they keep going through thick and thin even on old sludgy systems with the minimum of maintenance. Give me cast iron over plastic components any day. If it ain't broke, I would just service it. Just make sure you keep a contingency fund for the day when it inevitably has to go.

Yes a new boiler will save on gas. However a lot of those savings will be lost in the replacement costs of new boiler, controls,pipework and poss other work needed to put in a modern condenser. Then there's the cost of more frequent repairs and the cost of parts - some of which can be surprisingly expensive. The savings on gas will be a lot less than you originally thought.

Some of my customers cling onto their ancient, cast iron hex gas guzzlers - because they keep going through thick and thin even on old sludgy systems with the minimum of maintenance. Give me cast iron over plastic components any day. If it ain't broke, I would just service it. Just make sure you keep a contingency fund for the day when it inevitably has to go.

Wise words from a Painter & Decorator!!

Don't get all excited, Dickie. The OP's in Staffs, so you won't be losing a sale on a nice, shiny steamer if he decides to go with advice like mine.

Don't get all excited, Dickie. The OP's in Staffs, so you won't be losing a sale on a nice, shiny steamer if he decides to go with advice like mine.

What you stated WS is not all ball.x, a condensing boiler as I said, is more complex, in the same way a steam train differs from a space shop. One of the recent high effiency condensing boilers I fitted was a Heatline £380, not that I'd recommend this manufacturer to anyone, but most boilers regardless of manufacturer are OK & by no means are the most expensive the best!!!

Regardless of the boiler, the existing system must be as clean as nuns knickers, a good boiler fitted correctly & commissioned by someone that knows their onions. Controls also have come on leaps & bounds in recent years. If you have a well insulated home you can save a fortune on energy costs with a modern boiler & good controls.

Mmm. Money's not particularly a problem. If a modern electronic boiler fails over some christmas I can imagine a cold wait for a new and expensive board or motorised valve gadget to appear when the wholesaler opens in January! The last time my Ideal broke was over christmas as it happens..and the guy had a new thermocouple in the van.
Maybe I'm biased because as an electronic service engineer I see a creeping, and to some degree, needless complexity in nearly everything (even some kettles have 8-bit microcontrollers in them!). I have an old CRT tv, a 20-y/old microwave, my AVO was made in 1954, my mobile is 15 years old and my washer has one of those clockwork programmers. I hope you understand my dichotomy!

Obviously not someone who subscribes to the digital age!

But don't you see the advantages of a digital CD for playing music continuously with being degraded?

Conversely an old vinyl record which distorts the grove every time it plays?

Boilers are surprisingly reliable!

Moving parts and not electronics are the usual failure points. Pumps and fans!

Replacing a boiler is a bit like replacing a women or a car
With your existing one you've already paid out the capital and if you treat her right, by replacing the odd trinket she'll be reasonably low maintenance
Get a fancy new one, high capital outlay, all the fixings will need changing, and ongoing high complicated maintenance costs for ever more

Obviously not someone who subscribes to the digital age!

Well, I'm not a luddite, not with my job! I just don't want the old boiler to go for scrap if its replacement ends up as a costly, inconvenient white elephant. But advice on this subject seems to be 50:50 either way. I dont want to be like one of those people who takes out perfectly good light bulbs just to replace them with LED because its the 'in thing' to do. Or is that a ridiculous analogy?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back