Owner occupier servicing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post etc, interesting website.

I have an elderly Ideal boiler for CH and hot water, 20 plus years old, I've changed a couple of thermocouples over the years, plus the motor for the 3 way valve and the controller. What is the legal position with the owner servicing? I've just paid a local CH engineer to service the thing, he didn't measure the gas pressure or "sniff" the exhaust although some cleaning occurred.

What is the current legal position with owner-occupiers working on gas equipment?

Sponsored Links
There's been endless discussion on this forum regarding doing your own gas work on your own property - the law says you have to be "competent", which I guess is a retrospective assessment - would only come in to question after an explosion or CO poisoning. Plus, there's all this pressure nowadays for home owners to keep a catalogue of certificates for every piece of electrical or gas work done, and the idea is that one day a buyer of your home would be told by their solicitor that you must have these certificates, but of course, unless the home is relatively recently built, it's unlikely that many people have these. Most buyers would ignore this if they really want to buy the property. If I sell my house, the buyer might want a certificate for the installation and servicing of the boiler (which I don't have), but I would suggest that they fit a new boiler after they buy the house if it's really that important to them. Chances are they will be happy to keep the old one that will last another 10 years at least.

Thanks for the quick replies!

if he didn't service it properly, i take it you didn't pay.
No money has changed hands yet, is measuring gas pressure and "sniffing" the exhaust a service procedure? I would assume that there is a service schedule from Ideal ... somewhere.

Regarding competency, that's where the owner occupier falls down, can't easily prove competency. I'll go away now and search some of the old threads, I may be some time ....

Sponsored Links
In the event of a problem, especially one affecting other people (ie death / damage to property), the onus would be on the owner occupier diy plumber to prove that not only was the problem caused by a faulty part (rather than faulty workmanship) but also that they did the necessary service checks after messing around with it themselves. As an owner occupier, I am happy to do many repairs on my boiler, but if I interfere with the flue / fan seals / gas valve side of things, then I have it checked. Can always get a landlord certificate even if you are not a landlord. CORGI folk will frown upon this of course....

Thanks Axel, so does the law still permit owner occupiers to work on gas heating systems providing the gas "circuit" is not dismantled?

Its a grey area.

If you live on your own in a detached house I personally would not give a hoot.

But if you live in flats then you must recognise that you could unwittingly put innocent parties at risk.

the MI (Manufacturers Instructions) will detail exactly what is required for a service so download them from Ideal website and have a look, although a lot of them say inspect and clean if necessary so that in itself is subjective, but it will give you a starting point, what model is the boiler and how long did he take to service it and when was it last serviced will give us a bit more to go on,

If you aint qualified - then dont touch it - thats my advice.....

If you have a house fire or the like and it is to do with your boiler, your home insurers find out you have been doing it yourself then they will not pay out.

how do you know he did not measure the pressure?
more importantly, did he do a gas rating and droptest?
as for the legality, why take chances for the few bob?
a good heating engineer will find the beginning of a fault way before you do and in the end you will be paying less, have no hassle, and safety.

In a nutshell, legally, owner occupier can do whatever the hell they like, but are susceptible to criminal charges if they screw up. It's the same driving a car...

It could be likened to repairing an oil fired pressure washer at your home, it's principly the same as an oil fired boiler. Of course you could fix it.

Its a basic requirement that iuf you do any "work" on a gas appliance then you must measure the power input to confirm that its operating within the manufacturer's specification.

Thats historically done by measuring the burner pressure although many of the latest boilers its by measuring the gas comsumption at the meter.

So in the case of an old boiler it was essential that he measured the burner pressure. IF he did not then you could even complain to CORGI.

Measuring the flue gas products is required on most of the latest boilers but NOT on earlier conventional burner boilers like yours. It can be done but it does not tell an experienced engineer anything that he cannot deduce after measuring the burner pressure and examining the flame picture.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back