ice maker overfilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone please help
I have a whirlpool side by side fridge freezer with ice maker.
However it appears to be overfilling the ice cube trays with water.
Apparently there is normally am adjusting screw for this but I have take the entire unit out and there is not one of any sort.
The mechanism is made by sankyo if that helps at all and all it seems to have on it is a test button.
Thanks to you all

Sponsored Links
There are many different Whirlpool side by side models. To have any chance of getting an answer from someone you will have to post the model and service number. This information is on the makers plate in the fridge. Take out the vegetable trays & look for a sticker.

Thanks for the reply
I know the model number is 20rb d3 sf I will try and find the service number as well

Ok so I've looked again and I think the service number is 8586 411 15020
And model as I already stated is 20rb d3 sf

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Not much info to be found on the ice-maker unit itself I'm afraid :(
But there isn't any kind of adjusting screw that controls water flow to the ice-maker if that is what you were thinking. The double solenoid valve (black for ice supply/blue for drinking water) is controlled via the power board which in turn is interfaced with the ice-maker. I would think that if the excess water seems to be a timed flow then the fault is likely in the ice-maker unit itself. If flow is constant then it may be a defective solenoid valve or in the very worst event a faulty power board. Usually it turns out to be the ice unit. The ice-maker is likely to cost you a whopping £200 & the valve assembly around £80.
I would seriously consider....A: forget the ice-maker, buy a 50p ice tray & stick it in the freezer....Or B: get a quote from a reputable engineer.
Unfortunately there isn't much that is DIY'able on these things.

Cripes yeah I won't pay that much for some ice cubes. the flow isn't constant just the 3 middle cubes never eject properly which obviously has a knock on effect each time it re fills. I have even emptied and cleaned the tray out by hand but right from the first set of cubes it makes the 3 middle ones get stuck in. I presumed it must be due to the cubes being too big due to too much flow and getting stuck in the tray. Does that sound likely? Suppose best thing is for me to measure the amount of water it user to find out.
Thanks again for your help

Ok so last night I managed to check how much water its using and it is only 90ml which I don't think is too much at all. I'm pretty sure the problem is just the actual cube tray itself. For some reason the cubes are sticking in and not emptying out properly causing the next cycle to overfill. They do feel a bit rough inside some of them so I'm thinking I just need a new cube tray. Is it possible to just buy that or do you need to buy the whole thing?

I can't find any part number for the tray so I'm not sure it is available. Try giving Whirlpool a call & see it it is possible to buy it stand-alone. Quote the 85 service number you posted earlier. The part number for the complete ice-maker is 4812 690 28049.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back