ice on membrane in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone i am after some advice.I had an extension built a couple of years ago and recently went into the loft to store some stuff.On looking up at the membrane i saw patches of water.on closer inspection the nearer to the lowest point of the roof there was pure ice/frost and the highest areas was more like a condensation.i also noticed that my builders have left the top course of bricks and stuck on air vents-don,t know if this is causing the problem as it feels very draughty.The membrane is like plastic sheeting rather than a felt like stuff in my original loft.anyway enough ranting,someone can advise.cheers thompa hope

Sponsored Links
Is there any brand name on this plastic sheeting? Sure it's polythene??

Stuck on air vents?? They could just be for effect to match the pattern of other 'working' air vents, or the bricks could be drilled through for ventilation. Sounds a bit wierd though.

Is there any brand name on this plastic sheeting? Sure it's polythene??

Stuck on air vents?? They could just be for effect to match the pattern of other 'working' air vents, or the bricks could be drilled through for ventilation. Sounds a bit wierd though.
not sure about any brand name but definately top course of bricks missing.

Some "felts" are actually plastic.

A roof is there to keep you dry. Insulation on the ceiling to keep you warm. Cold, or even a bit of ice in the roof space is not a problem as long as there is enough ventilation to evaporate it off.

Lofts should not have a great deal of condensation. As you say it is draughty then you seem to have adequate ventilation. The problem would therefore be too much heat rising into the roof space - ie not enough insulation above the ceiling

Sponsored Links
Some "felts" are actually plastic.

A roof is there to keep you dry. Insulation on the ceiling to keep you warm. Cold, or even a bit of ice in the roof space is not a problem as long as there is enough ventilation to evaporate it off.

Lofts should not have a great deal of condensation. As you say it is draughty then you seem to have adequate ventilation. The problem would therefore be too much heat rising into the roof space - ie not enough insulation above the ceiling
thanks for that my only worry being that some ares are a little wet with drops of water coming off them.will adding more insulation stop this.thanks

thanks for that my only worry being that some ares are a little wet with drops of water coming off them.will adding more insulation stop this.thanks

Not if the water is rain, then adding insulation will make the problem worse.

The water could be condensation forming on the underside of the felt if you have excessive moisture in the house, or no lid on your water tank.

I'm confused about the bricks now, they have been removed? or have been left in place and had the vents stuck onto the brick face from the outside???

bricks at front of house have been removed and vents stuck on top of eaves so from outside it looks fine.

Rain penetration and condensation look completely different. If its water droplets on the felt which look like err, condensation, then its condensation

Rain penetration will just run down in a line

Rain penetration and condensation look completely different. If its water droplets on the felt which look like err, condensation, then its condensation

cheers woody it is definately where the ice has melted so as you say the loft must need more insulation.thankyou very much for your advice.

Correct, now have yourself a nice refreshing glass of beer for spotting my deliberate mistake. :p

To Thompa: How deep is the current insulation, are there any gaps in it?

cheers woody it is definately where the ice has melted so as you say the loft must need more insulation.thankyou very much for your advice.
howdo deluks there are 2 layers in most places but there are a few gaps especially at front where bricks are missing.cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back