Icicles on roof edge, condensation or leaking roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
I get this every year with my place.....loads of snow on the roof, and local melting around the gutter area. This forces melt water back up into the soffits which freezes and thaws as the day goes on, causing similar issues.
Its been bad enough one time to leak actually in the house over the head of the window frame, but thats rare.
I know my underfelt isn't good at gutter level, but it will have to stay that way.
So, if your issue isn't condensation, (and I think Alistair is right) it could be the same as mine.
John :)

Maybe a combination of both?
Wonder if putting vents in the roof will help? or more insulation?
Any advice welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Certainly if there's condensation up there then soffit ventilators will help......you need around 300mm of insulation above the ceilings anyway, but the stuff shouldn't touch the felt anywhere, or fill up the soffit boxes.
The more draught up there the better really, but naturally its vital to protect any water tanks that may be up there.
There's no need for ridge tile vents here.
John :)

Does that mean that soffit vents alone will supply enough ventilation - wonder how many I'll need in this setup? Cheers.

When it's minus whatever outside, and 20°C inside, then condensation is almost inevitable in a roof space, whether vents are fitted or not.

If anything, investing in more insulation will not only keep heat in, but lower the loft temperature to narrow the temperature differential between inside and outside

Only consider extra ventilation if condensation is occurring for long periods of time when the weather is more temperate - ie autumn and spring

As an easy fix, just separate the felt laps in the loft if you want to. Wedge a couple open at high and low level, with some bits of wood or cardboard.

Re. the quick fix "separate the felt laps". Is this to allow more ventilation through the roof?
Guess more insulation would help too then?
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back