idea of costs for a small single storey extension?

I think most people would be suprised at the amount of building work carried out with no drawings or specifiacation. I get a steady number of instructions from solicitors to produce reports on building works which have gone bad for one reason or another. I don't have exact figures but I reckon at least half the time there are no drawings at all. Nothing whatsoever. The other half are nearly always working off of planning drawings that have no detail or specification and usually have no dimensions.

Almost all these are where the householder 'got a few builders around'.

And those that 'get a builder' round to do physical work are the dafties that keep solicitors and Watchdog going.

Never fails to amaze me how many folk are happy to part with their money without proper plans and a signed contract.

Sponsored Links
weepingwidow, best bet is to get some local builders round, do a rough sketch, put some measurements on and let them look at the area.

I'm sure you'll be able to get some helpful builders to give you an idea when looking at the potential job onsite

Have read this post with interest and despite what others may think, we feel that there is just about sufficient information provided to give a budget guideline.
We would have liked to have known whether the 3.0m was the depth or width of extension. We have assumed it is the width as most garages on links are 3.0m wide, not that it is going to make much difference.
We would also have liked the storey height of garage in relation to fire proof door and possible back gutter and altering roof line.
Run through it for you weepingwidow, and any other disbelievers.
Back cavity wall to comply with regs 2.4 storey height and foundation, assume 3,0m wide with say 1.2x1.05m window. Both side walls already built, except that kitchen side to have say 3.5m knock through with say 2 number, depending on SE calcs 203x102x23 or 203x133x25 steels with spacer bolts and pads.
Flat roof to extension, with possible box gutter to be formed where meeting existing garage flat roof.. Fire proof door and frame to rear garage wall, and bring garage wall up to regs.
Float and set to walls and to knock through, skim ceiling, concrete oversite, insulate and screed to floor.
Electrics as required to new build. No allowance for domestic or heating circuit to new extension. Possible few metres skirting.
Do not know labour rates in your area, but for guidance would budget £10750.00 to £12000.00.
Pc sum of £1700.00 for knock through included in this budget.
We would do it in 4 weeks, but suggest you allow 6.
Pay no attention to what DIYWell has wrote. We do this sort of thing for a living, day in and day out for more years than I care to remember.
Hope we have been of some help
old un

Excellent, a reply from someone who knows what he's talking about. Wish he was up here to do my building projects.

And, since most folk seem to have such a low opinion of my comments, I'll not bother replying to any more posts. Its just not worth the hassle.

Sponsored Links
Will run through it Fred. Have done quite a few of these with no problem. The only initial problem could be, the client being able to agree with his neighbour that the rear of the flank wall of their property is classed as party wall.
This has never been a problem in the past as link garages have the front pier and the rear wall attached to neighbours flank, plus roof timbers either on hangers, built in or supported on wall bressummer. Roof flashing is also chopped into flank wall, therefore flank wall is classed as party wall. Diagram 4 page 8. Agree with me?
Form door way from garage to give you access. You only have 3m long foundation to dig. 1.35mc dig and 1cm conny. Possibly 12 ms conny paving at back of garage to jack hammer out, 1.2mc. May even not be there. 2 tonne MOT 1.25 cm conny, oversite done. Back wall only to lift, including footings, less window,= 440brick and 7.5ms block, and you are up to plate. 10 number 50 x150 joists, 10 reducing rips, dozen sheets P5 chipboard or 5 sheets OSB. 20 number joist hangers. Either GRP or felt finish. Window in. Watertight.
If problems with U values on party wall, either dot dab insulated plasterboard or stud partition on thickened oversite toe and 120mm celotex. Ditto to existing garage wall. Allowed three days for knock through plus steels, acrows, genie hoist and sundries. Fire door and frame .Days work set and skim, ceilings walls and make good knock through. Mornings work insulate and screed. Bit gutter pipe and possibly soakaway. Agree?
Look at it another way you will understand. 12 metre square, bog standard extension, with only one external wall to build. No new boiler or moving boiler. See my previous post. Do you get it now.
Yes Fred £12000.00, (twelve thousand pounds), top wack. We build dogs kennels bigger than this. Rattled together figures as we have typed away. Don’t think we have made mistake, let us know if you see one.
Fred are we now non professional for providing a guidance budget on scant information? Let us know if you see anything we have missed.
old un.

I wish my house was down south then, here in central Scotland we reckon on 1250 - 1500 / m2 for the basic box. Obviously there are a lot of idle builders down south.

Move and uprate your boiler, £3k

Shift a door, £1k

Knock through, £5k

Add kitchen units etc £5k - £15k

Fees, £2k

If you have plans to building warrant standard, there are companies online that will price the job for you so you can see what builders are taking the mickey. Last time I looked they charged about £150 for a 24hr turn around.

£5k for knocking down a wall and putting a couple of I beams in? I'm in the wrong business!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back