Ideal Boiler - Can I have advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Readers and Seasons Greetings to you all.

I have an Ideal Mini S24 gas Boiler and strange stuff seems to be happening! I last had it serviced in June this year, of course only using the Water Heating bit not the heating until the past few weeks. A new PCB was fitted at that time.

It runs 15 radiators, the end rad (slave??) in the Utility room is the end rad and isn't controllable and isn't turned off.

The thing is, three of the rads, they are the larger ones of the total, only seem to get very hot at the tops, only warm along the bottom. I've bled them to remove the (any) air and it hasn't helped at all.

Additionally, I've noticed, that sometimes the boiler will ignites for about 5 seconds then off again - this will happen for maybe 5 or 6 times in a row then stay on. Otherwise, it works fine, as does the water heating part.

Shouild I worry about this, and do you know what could be the problem please.

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
sounds like the flow is restricted too much maybe the rads need a 1/4 turn on the lockshield valve to open them a little more, or the pump is faulty or finally it could be crud in the system.

sounds like the flow is restricted too much maybe the rads need a 1/4 turn on the lockshield valve to open them a little more, or the pump is faulty or finally it could be crud in the system.

Mm. Thanks kevindgas for your reply. All the rads are turned fully on. This system is 7 years old, we've lived here 5 years and this is the first real problem (apart from the PCB being changed) that we've had with it.

Pete

Sponsored Links
If the heated CH water is free to flow easily through the nearer to boiler rads, then there will be little or no circulating pump pressure left at the other ones. Best to balance the flows by closing the lockshield valves on the rads that ARE warm to see if the others warm up properly. Then open the lockshield valves that you closed ONLY JUST ENOUGH for them to get nice and warm after a few minutes. This may only need a quarter of a turn open.

If the heated CH water is free to flow easily through the nearer to boiler rads, then there will be little or no circulating pump pressure left at the other ones. Best to balance the flows by closing the lockshield valves on the rads that ARE warm to see if the others warm up properly. Then open the lockshield valves that you closed ONLY JUST ENOUGH for them to get nice and warm after a few minutes. This may only need a quarter of a turn open.

Thanks Axel, I'm about to give your idea a go. Heating been on since this morning so well up and running. I'll tell ya how I get on!

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back