Ideal Boiler Problem

BF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an Ideal Classic NF40 boiler which has been installed for about 15 years.

On Xmas day it was off for several hours but then wouldn`t ignite when turned on. It eventually started up about 2 hours later and has worked fine until last Friday when again it wouldn`t start up.

Suddenly it has started again and I am puzzled as to what the fault could be.

A previous issue was the fan that wouldn`t turn. The engineer initially resolved this by spinning it manually which worked fine until the part was replaced.

Thinking it may be the same issue I did the same but to no effect.

Could the severe cold be the problem? The snow where I live has melted a little indicating that the outside temperature has increased a bit and I wonder whether this may have affected whatever component is at fault.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
I've got an Ideal Classic NF40 boiler which has been installed for about 15 years.

On Xmas day it was off for several hours but then wouldn`t ignite when turned on. It eventually started up about 2 hours later and has worked fine until last Friday when again it wouldn`t start up.

Suddenly it has started again and I am puzzled as to what the fault could be.

A previous issue was the fan that wouldn`t turn. The engineer initially resolved this by spinning it manually which worked fine until the part was replaced.

Thinking it may be the same issue I did the same but to no effect.

Could the severe cold be the problem? The snow where I live has melted a little indicating that the outside temperature has increased a bit and I wonder whether this may have affected whatever component is at fault.

Any ideas please?

I have the exact same boiler and problem - my boiler was running fine yesterday and then all of a sudden I realised that it was getting colder in the house so I checked the boiler and it was not on.

I have checked the room/boiler thermostat are turned up the programmer is on and the pump is working but the boiler will not ignite.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The engineer is coming tomorrow so I will let you know what is said.

My concern is that the fault can`t be found now that it has fired up again.

The engineer is coming tomorrow so I will let you know what is said.

My concern is that the fault can`t be found now that it has fired up again.

Thanks I am hoping that it is something easily fixed- we are looking to replace the boiler later this year so do not want to be spending too much on it now.

Sponsored Links
Went off again and now back on!

When the thermostat clicks in it sounds as though something in my airing cupboard where the immersion and pumps are stored is firing up but the actual pilot light in the boiler isn`t on and the boiler isn`t heating up.

Incidentally, do these boilers have a pilot light constantly on? My boiler doesn`t have an ignition switch to manually fire the pilot light up.

Does anyone know if this boiler is "G" rated?

When the thermostat clicks in it sounds as though something in my airing cupboard where the immersion and pumps are stored is firing up but the actual pilot light in the boiler isn`t on and the boiler isn`t heating up.

Incidentally, do these boilers have a pilot light constantly on? My boiler doesn`t have an ignition switch to manually fire the pilot light up.

Yes it is g rated

Yes it is g rated

Just called British gas and they want £168 inc parts and labour to do a one off repair

Yes it is g rated

Just called British gas and they want £168 inc parts and labour to do a one off repair

Did they indicate when they could come out?

I have the BG 3* service and they can`t attend until tomorrow although I reported the fault last Friay!

Check your pump. Sounds as though it could be sitting waiting for the HE to cool before firing again.

Check your pump. Sounds as though it could be sitting waiting for the HE to cool before firing again.

Which pump? Given that it hadn`t fired up since Friday would the HE not have cooled sufficiently since then?

Cheers

I just read the part about it firing up after 2 hours. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading :oops:

I have the BG 3* service and they can`t attend until tomorrow although I reported the fault last Friay!

What a waste of your money. :!: If I was local, it would be repaired by this time tomorrow.

What a waste of your money. :!: If I was local, it would be repaired by this time tomorrow.

Not at all happy with their response but, of course, they have sited the extreme weather conditions as their excuse!

Ref the G rating on this boiler. I didn`t think it had a permanent pilot light but it is over 15 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back