ideal c28 mini going to lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about 8 yr old, boiler fires fine, goes from 1 bar to 3 bar in no time with a temp rise of 20c - 80c. boiler locks out, i checked pressure vessel, water from valve so i replaced that, now it locks out 90% of the time, will work fine on dhw and ch then all of a sudden stop dead n wont fire, once i press reset it tries to fire, does the ignition sequence, explosive ignition and strong smell of gas???? never had this before! help??? its only blown off once? is it pcb, high limit stat? or just a typical ideal boiler?

Sponsored Links
I think its a series of problems which will need a competent boiler engineer.

The pressure should never go from 1-3 Bar if the EXV is working properly.

You could check that and look in the FAQ to see how.

Tony

ive bn plumbing and htg for 6 years n do far more installations than maintainence, im tempted to change the high limit stat as i think this is the main issue however i know pcbs can be an nightmare in intermittent faults as you more often than not have to buy a new one, however im really concerned about is that a room sealed appliance filled a room full of gas while trying to fire! stick to baxis is my motto!

A room sealed appliance !!! room full of gas ????????? what's blown off ????

Sponsored Links
ive changed pressure vessel and thats cured the pressure rise which was obv. causing it to blow off and ive been told by the ideal rep that it would go to lockout. if it was the pcb why is it only itdoing it now and then? possible loose connection? no signs of any scorching or such, why is gas into room when i try to reset it? surely it should be straight out the flue if its ignition fault?

Gas into room on a room sealed boiler means something isnt sealed anymore...
Have you had the chamber cover off?
Is the seal in good order?
This would cause the boiler to missfire and cause gas into your room which is a bit scary to me....if gas can escape into the room so can the fumes....

seals are fine, ive had everthing apart and hoovered everthing to try and get it to seal properly, when the boiler decides not to play it could be on hw or ch, its the actual ingintion it struggles with, fan and pump both run fine and it goes through the igntion sequence fine, however now and then the is a small explosive ignititon then it goes to lockout, if i reset a few times you can smell gas coming from appliance, I hate Ideals!!!

You can smell gas coming from the appliance , it is a roomsealed appliance the combustion / ignition sequence is contained within the boiler ? if you have a smell of gas ??? than the appliance is no longer room sealed ??? the access point for a fga probe on flue elbow is present & sealing there was a recall on some of these years ago ?????

Could be PCB, or gas valve. Went to one once which had explosive ign, so much so it blew the top off the flue!!!! Turned out it was the gas valve.

As above, if you can smell gas, something isnt right, far from it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back