Ideal Classic boiler - where is the overheat reset button?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pilot light has gone out on my mother's boiler today. It is an old style Ideal classic standard FF60 fanned boiler. Nothing has been done differently, nothing replaced recently although it has been on more over Christmas.

The manual suggests pressing the overheat reset button - said to be on the right hand side of the unit once the controls access door is opened.

However, there is no button there. There is a red plastic knob which could be a light, but is defintely not a button that could be pressed. The only other things on the right hand side are metal and again not pressable.

When the system is switched off and then on again there is a low hum but no sound of the fan.

(The system is normally extremely noisy, but has been so for 20 odd years and she's been told that nothing can be done.)

Help please!

Sponsored Links
Isn't it on the right of the metal box which is behind the flap?
I'll see if I can find it in the manual.

Yep, It is. Teracotta colour, makes a definite click if it needs resetting, otherwise quite loose.

There's only a plastic cased thing, rather than a button which could be pressed in.

If that makes any sense!

The manual (and online manuals) says there should be a button there. My mother does remember an engineer saying that it wasn't there, but can't remember where it was!

thanks

Just gone and checked it again!

Definitely can't be pressed in. Unless that means that the problem with the boiler is not reheating and might be something else. Would the button be rigid if it was something else?

Sponsored Links
the button would be rigid if the boiler had gotten too hot

what is the problem at the mo?

is it doing anything?

can you see apilot light when the boiler is off?

The heating is off and the boiler will not relight. I cannot see a pilot light through the sightglass. And just switching off and on again without a reset button doesn't seem to make any difference. There was just a low hum, so I switched off the electricity.

the problem is nowt to do with the "reset button", best to call someone in sorry

isn't it an electronic ignition so it wont have a permanenmt pilot. the problem will be that your fan has stuck

isn't it an electronic ignition so it wont have a permanenmt pilot. the problem will be that your fan has stuck

Thats not what is was getting at bones, the gas valves on these boilers are a sod for failing and leaving the pilot light on, if its satys on the boiler WILL NOT go any further.

I too realise that it is most likely that the fan is stuck but I dont want the OP to start tearing the boiler apart as I feel that would endanger them, hence why I suggest they call a competant person in

:)

you sure the red " button" you cant press isnt a cover you unscrew for the actual reset button? seen several like this

Holy thread revival batman...

holythreadresurrectionbye1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back