Ideal Classic ff40 fires up for about 20secs then cuts out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have already changed the pump as this wasn't turning/seized solid, but boiler still behaving the same. Stays lit for about 20 secs then cuts out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Sponsored Links
I have already changed the pump as this wasn't turning/seized solid, but boiler still behaving the same. Stays lit for about 20 secs then cuts out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Does this mean jezzy that you changed the pump only to find that the boiler is still behaving the same.

So,it could have been or still is? a defective Gas valve. Why did you drain down if as you say the pump valves are fine to isolate the pump? I,m at a loss here

Does this mean jezzy that you changed the pump only to find that the boiler is still behaving the same.

So,it could have been or still is? a defective Gas valve. Why did you drain down if as you say the pump valves are fine to isolate the pump? I,m at a loss here

Pump valves have seized when turned off.
It happens on nearly all them and is why i would now rather drain down and change the lot.
Surely until he gets water to the pump we cannot determine its the GV

Hes cocked up and is grabbing at straws. I,m done.

You carry on, I think hes taking the pizz

Sponsored Links
Does this mean jezzy that you changed the pump only to find that the boiler is still behaving the same. YES.

So,it could have been or still is? a defective Gas valve. Why did you drain down if as you say the pump valves are fine to isolate the pump? I,m at a loss here[/quote]

I didn't drain down, i just shut off the pump valves and changed the pump as the old one had seized, then i opened the pump valves back up, but there didn't seem to be water circulating, and the boiler was still cutting out after about 20 secs, which led me to ring a mate who actually told me the problem before i told him (as he just changed a gas valve on one last week). This led me to think it could be the valve, but before i get one and find it isn't the gas valve, i just wanted to pick your brains to see what you all thought first. Yes pump valves could be stuck, but i don't think so as they weren't tight, unless the heat from the old pump has fudgered them also. Pump runs continuously so if he's bled a few rads and pipes were iced up last week, this could have taken the old pump out?

Does this mean jezzy that you changed the pump only to find that the boiler is still behaving the same. YES.

I didn't drain down, i just shut off the pump valves and changed the pump as the old one had seized, then i opened the pump valves back up, but there didn't seem to be water circulating, and the boiler was still cutting out after about 20 secs, which led me to ring a mate who actually told me the problem before i told him (as he just changed a gas valve on one last week). This led me to think it could be the valve, but before i get one and find it isn't the gas valve, i just wanted to pick your brains to see what you all thought first. Yes pump valves could be stuck, but i don't think so as they weren't tight, unless the heat from the old pump has fudgered them also. Pump runs continuously so if he's bled a few rads and pipes were iced up last week, this could have taken the old pump out?[/quote]

Im really sorry to tell you this mate but a sticking gas valve has knack all to do with your water circulation problems.
You have stated that your pump was knackered.
You also stated you shut off the valves and changed the bloody thing.
You now state there is no water in said new pump.
YOUR PUMP VALVE/VALVES ARE LOCKED SHUT!!!!
Your gas valve has nowt to do with your circulation of water as YOUR PUMP STARTS BEFORE THE GAS VALVE EVEN TRIES TO OPEN!!!!!!!

Can you lock one of the threads on this as reading two at atime is somewhat confusing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back