Ideal classic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ideal classic boiler , the other morning I was woken to the sound of steam coming out of the expansion tank pipe into the expansion tank in the loft - it heated the tank enough to be very hot to the touch , I turned it off and let it cool, if I fire it up again from cold it seems to run ok - I hear the pump etc in the boiler running, after 2/3 minutes though I can hear th e boiler is overheating the water - I can hear what I imagine is bubbling, the boiler is in the laundry room, there are two pipes coming out of the top which I presume are feed and return, I will try and get a heating engineer to look at it but any ideas what may have gone wrong with it? (It’s 20 years old) but I don’t want to be faced with replacing it if there is a component defect ? And advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Many models of ideal classic boiler, mine doesn't have a pump in it but outside its surrounding cover?

Thanks I guess it may not be a pump but it fires up ok I guess it may just be the heating process I hear

Attachments

• 48980AFC-E762-4DFA-AC7D-CE53C31AFCD0.jpeg
    48980AFC-E762-4DFA-AC7D-CE53C31AFCD0.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 0FA10678-DC1C-4E07-BC8D-A73F8DA69E4C.jpeg
    0FA10678-DC1C-4E07-BC8D-A73F8DA69E4C.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 90
Possibly heat exchanger clogged up with gunk, or feed pipe from header tank gunked up, or connection between expansion pipe and feed from header tank partially blocked or combination of all 3, hopefully plumber can sort. Has the system ever been flushed out, dosed with inhibitor or has it a Magnaclean type fitting on it

Sponsored Links
great boilers, very easy and cheap to repair , but sounds more like an external fault rather than a boiler fault, any so called engineer that says you need a new boiler just tell them to do one

great boilers, very easy and cheap to repair , but sounds more like an external fault rather than a boiler fault, any so called engineer that says you need a new boiler just tell them to do one
Sounds like an external fault? thats great advice and should help him immensely. :)

be looking at pump first if its starting to over heat after 2/3 minutes

be looking at pump first if its starting to over heat after 2/3 minutes
Notwithstanding that he states the pump seems to be running OK would not the boiler trip out in overheat ( little red button RHS) if there was no flow through it?

Notwithstanding that he states the pump seems to be running OK would not the boiler trip out in overheat ( little red button RHS) if there was no flow through it?
eh not all classics have the little red button overheat stat that was only on some models

Don't heat exchangers get blocked anymore?
I have worked on hundreds of Ideal classics and never seen a blocked heat exchanger on one ever, a blocked heat exchanger does not happen overnight , it would be kettling and getting worse over many months

So the answer is no, thats better advising the OP that it can't be the heat exchanger, so we are back to the pump and/or ? ? ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back