Ideal classic

Switched on again this morning with system cold, and Only hot water not central heating, fires up and I hear the pump running ok, I got the steps and checked the feed and return pipes coming out of the top of the boiler, the feed got hot more or less straight away but the return stayed cold up until when I heard the boiler start to actually boil the water as it were and I switched it off, have man coming tomorrow and he seems to think block too - never been flushed but did have inhibitor I’ll report back tomorrow - thanks for all the replies

Sponsored Links
I have worked on hundreds of Ideal classics and never seen a blocked heat exchanger on one ever, a blocked heat exchanger does not happen overnight , it would be kettling and getting worse over many months
One minute they are great boilers and next minute you have worked on hundreds of them, since its never a blockage what is the usual problem circuit board, gas valve, etc etc ?

One minute they are great boilers and next minute you have worked on hundreds of them, since its never a blockage what is the usual problem circuit board, gas valve, etc etc ?
you might have heard of a thing called a boiler service, that is working on the boiler, doesnt mean it is faulty, we are trying to help the OP out your childish comments dont help anyone, grow up and try and be helpfull

Sponsored Links
you might have heard of a thing called a boiler service, that is working on the boiler, doesnt mean it is faulty, we are trying to help the OP out your childish comments dont help anyone, grow up and try and be helpfull
Sorry, I guess you saying that you had worked on hundreds of boilers and were very cheap and easy to repair and never come across a blocked heat exchanger inferred that you were working on them because of a problem with the boiler but l now understand where you were coming from and with your experience no doubt it will be the pump at fault, now be a good plumber and go and do a 30min £80 service somewhere

explain how you think they can trip without it having an overheat stat
I don't know thats why it was posed as a question, I was hoping an experienced plumber would try and give a helpful reply but I guess I was wrong ( again !! sorry)

Sorry, I guess you saying that you had worked on hundreds of boilers and were very cheap and easy to repair and never come across a blocked heat exchanger inferred that you were working on them because of a problem with the boiler but l now understand where you were coming from and with your experience no doubt it will be the pump at fault, now be a good plumber and go and do a 30min £80 service somewhere
Shame I am not a plumber, they earn a lot more than me according to them , and you apparently

I don't know thats why it was posed as a question, I was hoping an experienced plumber would try and give a helpful reply but I guess I was wrong ( again !! sorry)
yep wrong again as its gasmen that work on boilers not plumbers ;)

Could be pump, pipework or air separator (if fitted) blocked, need checking over, and fault finding, which needs someone on site. OP is there one of these fitted in the airing cupboard?

Tower air.jpg

There's no need to gang up on him he's doing his best
Gang up on him ????? he has forgotten more than you will ever know about Gas boilers, he still needs to learn a lot about Golf though :p

Due to persistent unhelpful trolling I have prevented Dereekoo from taking further part in this thread so the professionals can advise.

Well Ian and Gas112 can anyway ;)

Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit unfair looking at the start of the thread it was Derekoo who tried to be helpful with a few suggestions which ianmcd started sniping at him with post 5 with gas112 jumping on the bandwagon in post 9. Derekoo then gave as good as he got if not better. Hopefully the OP will come back with the the outcome of the resulting investigations and all will be the wiser and someone will have guessed right which looking at the number of previous postings should be ianmcd closely followed by gas112 but you never know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back