Ideal E Type RS100N BGC41 409 08

I don't lie either. You're the only one who suggests plumbers lie. You haven't explained why you introduced all the other accusations!

The part price is the RRP, determined by the manufacturer, and it's nobody's business what I paid for it. I don't think the £40 diaphragm was me - I'd charge a tenner for one because I wouldn't check every price, and every part takes managing and organising so takes time/money to hold. The refurb kit for one of those is about £40 rrp, so If I used more than the diaphragm from a kit, £40 it would be though.

I don't see any justification for charging any less for bits than the big companies - I bet I've got more stock per employee than they have. I use premises, have to do the books and everything else thay do. Not charging for it is amateur.

Many repairers don't hold any stock so they're always off to the shop at whatever the hourly rate is, £65 per half hour in some cases. I often repair things which people have been told needs replacing, and quite often that's BG. In one case of theirs it was because the HT lead was shorting to earth, and they quoted £4000 to replace the old woman's 40,000Btu/hr Glowworm.

I charge parts plus time. If it takes a long time because it's the first time I've done a job then I charge for how long I think it would take to do it next time.

I've worked in several industries because British Industry has changed radically through the past few decades and thrown a lot of people out, so I've had to retrain, though I learned the theory for NVQ2 and 3 in about a weekend. I came to plumbing because there's no technology to change, and there's no need for a long apprenticeship. Half the competition is school drop-outs with chips on their shoulder - anyone honest who does a good job has work for life. The overheads are minimal - the fuss about Corgi is a nonsense, it's almost trivial.

I don't care what you charge for your bits but I object strongly to being told what I "should" do or that I rip people off, especially when it comes with all the groundless accusations in your previous post.

Sponsored Links
As i said chris don`t take it personal but you did and had a go, so i responded .For someone who has such a good memory for things it was you who said £40 on a turbo max posting for upgrade kit ,and as i said in that posting the diaphragm comes as part of the service kit and ALL the bits only cost £4 not the £40 you have yet again repeated. As for slagging plumbers think you have done a far better job than me by suggesting it can be learnt in a weekend by readin a book just shows how easy it must be, so glad i`m a gas service engineer and you didn`t include my trade in that

I agree mostly with what ChrisR says.

Back to the old argument of how much is profit and how much is rip off.

There is no such thing as rip off, only what people are prepared to pay, example- Fallen Maddonna with the big boobies by Van Clough £25 million,
only if someone is willing to pay that much,
Example 2- Victoria Beckhams royalties from the spice girls, she only recordered an album in the studio once and yet she gets royalties everytime a song is played on the radio or an album is sold, WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF WE GOT ROYALTIES EVERYTIME SOMEONE SWITCED THEIR HEATING ON WE HAD INSTALLED FOR THE NEXT TWENTY YEARS ON ALL THE SYSEMS WE HAVE FITTED, as I said there is no such thing as ripping off unless you want to include absolutaly every single thing we buy anywhere.
I charge retail for spares plus vat because that is what it's there for, if the part fails within 12 months I will have to go back and sort it free of charge.

Supplied and fitted a new Honeywell 3 port valve, 1.5 hours valve £76.37 labour £88.63 made £8.63 profit, hope it lasts the 12 months or I will be well out of pocket.

Went out sunday morning, leak under bath, I charged same as emergency firms but no vat so customer well happy, £75.00 call out, £55.00 an hour plus materials, they saved £22.75, we were both happy, I am sure someone on here would have done it cheaper, so what big deal.

strikes me if you have it and they want it
alls fair in love and spares
what if you want a part next day they charge tnt rate
who says its not on the shelf and lets make a daft 20 quid ? :evil:

Sponsored Links
another example estate agent tells me my house is worth 50000
i need the cash ill take 40000
anything is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay :D

Orange juice you get in a resturant often comes from a packet costing around 99p. You pay a lot more fopr a glass of same. What about a glass of coke or wine? Plenty mark up there.

Namsag if you want to "respond" to me with accusations of lying and all the other drivel you came out with then you're darned right I'll make you look silly. If you can't get simple facts straight you have a problem I can't help you with: Vaillant part no 140352 diverter service kit £39.03 OK?
I don't need to remember cos I don't lie, see?

Corgi tests - took 2 weeks by the way - for ccn1 & 6 elements from no prior knowledge. I'm not aware of anyone taking longer than that. Didn't see anyone fail, either. About as much to do as a 1 term evening class in holiday Spanish.

Want to be a "Water Industry Approved Plumber"? That takes one whole day. Nobody fails.

Unvented ticket we hear so much about? Read a couple of sets of installation instructions and the Building Reg, and 2 hours of ticking boxes and one line answers. Nobody fails

That isn't "slagging plumbers" as you put it, just a few facts. "How easy it must be"?? Well can you honestly think of anything about plumbing which would be judged "difficult"? There are lots of bits to get familiar with, true, but difficult, no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back