Ideal icos boiler vibrating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, my boiler has recently been making a loud vibrating noise when heating. I turned it down and it’s stopped but is now displaying an F, then an L. It’s heat only I think, not a combi. My question is, with the brand and make, is it worth getting it fixed, or better to get a new boiler /combi in?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
F-L is a loss of flame - have you checked you haven’t ran out of gas (credit meter). It might be worth getting it fixed and it might not. It could be something cheap and simple all the way up to a gas valve or pcb (more expensive - but cheaper than a new boiler). It might only need a full strip down service and a couple of parts.

Worth getting it looked at, certainly. When was it last serviced?

Thanks guys. We just moved in on June. The previous owner says it was last serviced just over a year ago. When it was making the loud noise it was displaying a small c, it was after I turned it down that it went to F and L. Who’s best to get it fixed? Someone like British gas or Ideal themselves?

Sponsored Links
BG will most likely tell you it's obsolete and try to sell you a new boiler for a vastly inflated sum. Ideal might be a good call, or a recommend local boiler engineer who is familiar with the quirks of this particular boiler

I had one of those (ideal isar anyway), came with the house...

It broke, I got insurance with SSE who were happy for me to sign up with it broken. The insurance terms were zero call out fee, free repairs.

That cost £225 per year, although, a few years ago.
Over the course of a year. Had a friendly repair man, he ended up replacing most of it.
Triggers broom. New heat exchanger, pump, circuit boards, igniter bits.

The next year SSE wanted to up the insurance to £700, so i cancelled.

Best £225 I ever spent.

Maybe do that, if you can get a similar deal?

SSE dont do that anymore, call Ideal and ask for a fixed price repair

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hope it wasn't cos of me!
No that was home services department, they made all their engineers redundant and another company have taken over that side of the business, they were losing Millions every year through terrible management

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I think it may actually be the pressure... there’s two handles. A black one at zero and a red one at 1.7 bar. Is it The black handle that’s the main one? If so, I’ve found the problem. So my next question is, how do I raise it? Sorry guys, I’m actually ok around the house but I don’t wanna mess around where gas is involved.

Had the gas engineer out. It’san expensive fix, couple of leaks, water everywhere, Black stuff.. add to that the carbon monoxide alarm going off, and that this boiler is not made anymore, I think I’ll just replace with new. Thanks for all your advice guys.

add to that the carbon monoxide alarm going off,

Just be sure that the Carbon Monoxide alarm is going off because of the boiler, as they’re room sealed appliances. It could be from another appliance, migration or anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back