Ideal Icos Boiler

JC6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

New to the forum, but just wanted to see if I can get anyone's advice on here.

Just recently brought my first property (in the process of it all going through solicitors etc at the minute), but had a mate of mine (gas and heating engineer) come round the other night to check the boiler for us.

Apparently we have an Ideal Icos Boiler, which isn't a very good make. Anyway, he's took a look at it for us, and apparently there is water sitting in the combustion chamber, which in his words, isn't meant to be there!

So, the question is, is this something which can be fixed within the boiler, or is it worth having stripping it out, and fitting a new combi boiler?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
JC6

Sponsored Links
Not worth investing money in the schitbox.

As for the type of replacement, we can't comment with the information provided.

And I'd be wary of someone describing such water in the manner of your friend

Dan Robinson,

Many thanks for the reply.

I've looked at a few forums, where everyone does say the same thing about the Ideal Icos Boiler, so seems like it might be worth stripping it out and replacing.

Appreciate you wouldn't like to comment.

Ha, I'd like to trust him, it's what he does on a daily basis.

Thanks again.
JC6

I would agree with Dan the Icos boilers are horrific, but again it’s only my opinion , the new models arnt half bad though

Sponsored Links
JC6, I quite like working on that boiler. In fact I use to steer clear of this make and model, but there are millions of these fitted so one does hear a lot of negative feedback, but remember, there will be a vast number that keep on working.

Water in the cumbustion chamber may be due to lack of proper service and attention and can be sorted easily. Equally, might be an expensive breakdown if the heat exchanger is goosed.

I would suggest you contact someone who deals with this boiler or even get ideal to look at the boiler

JC6 i think you get the idea,the boiler has proved itself to be rather unreliable.

good luck with the move (y)

Why are you asking us if your mate is on the tools? Don't you trust him/her?

Icos isn't great but it could be worse.

Apparently we have an Ideal Icos Boiler, which isn't a very good make. Anyway, he's took a look at it for us, and apparently there is water sitting in the combustion chamber, which in his words, isn't meant to be there!
water where exactly ? and from where ?;) easy boilers to work on as well but a piece of shyte ;)

A comment like his would mean that water is pooling at the base of the combustion area.

That is often due to the drain hole being blocked or the condensate drain pipe being blocked.

A pretty common occurrence on a boiler that has not been serviced lately. But he should be aware if he really does work on boilers all the

A comment like his would mean that water is pooling at the base of the combustion area.

That is often due to the drain hole being blocked or the condensate drain pipe being blocked.

A pretty common occurrence on a boiler that has not been serviced lately. But he should be aware if he really does work on boilers all the
I suppose you took the sump plate of when condens was blocked then :cry::)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back