Jeeshus H wossisname. You have gas coming out which you can smell, you don't see a spark. So it would appear pretty clear that the sparky bit is broke. Boilers on the whole don't let gas out until they intend having a go at lighting it. It would be highly irresponsible of course to put a match to the gas, even with a spanner on the gas cock so you could turn it off quick, but that would give an idea if the gas bit was working. Obviously nobody would ever dream of doing such a terrible awful heinous thing.