Ideal Icos dripping inside on electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone has come across this. We have an Ideal Icos (installed June 2004) that has given us untroubled service for the last 2 1/2 years. A few weeks ago the trip went on our Circuit board and we eventually isolated the cause to the boiler. Water was dripping inside on to an electrical connection. We called the plumber who installed it who checked the flue, found that a seal had been twisted when fitted so resealed the inner and outer sections with silicone (I would have preferred him to get another proper seal!). He also refitted the flue so that it was tighter on to the roof, but it is still happening. The Ideal techie suggested the sump might be blocked but the Plumber had serviced the boiler and cleaned out the sump. It is only intermittent, maybe once a week or so (we have now covered the electrical connection with plastic!) as if there is a build up of water/condensation coming from somewhere inside. We've left the bottom off the boiler to see if we can see where it is coming from but it hasn't helped. I still have my doubts about the flue, but wondered if anyone else has come across this problem?

PS. Since the plumber serviced the boiler it now occasionally fires with a loud "whump", could it be that he hasn't tightened the cover/seal properly?

Sponsored Links
That is classed as an installation fault if the flue seals are misplaced. Thats quite common.

Other parts of your model can leak inside as well.

Noisy ignition is a feature if the combustion conditions are not ideal.

Did your plumber usa a flue gas analyser to set up or check the boiler when he serviced it?

I rather get the impression he is a little careless, lazy or just not so competent.

Tony

You said it!!!

I think he used a gas analyser - thing with a meter and rubber tube?

Just at a loss with this one. Prob have to pay for a BG engineer or someone!

here hold up on avin a pop at the installer

I have been to many isars/icos' all fitted by top notch installers ( I know thats an oxymoron ;) ) and found that the FACTORY fitted seal on the primary flue leaking like a sieve and they are a bugger to seal properly

get ideal out

Sponsored Links
We have an Ideal Icos (installed June 2004) that has given us untroubled service for the last 2 1/2 years.

WOW :eek:

you have been incredibly lucky

I wouldn't be having a pop at the installer, but he fitted the whole system and other work and it isn't by any means the first thing we have had a problem with. Basically you have to trust the 'expert'. This system was recommended as being the most suitable for the job - how are we to know that it is crap??? The original boiler that was in this house had been there for over 30 years and was still working at the time of its removal. I should have suspected this one was rubbish when I discovered that it only had one year's guarantee - the company obviously have a lot of confidence in their own product! - not! But it was already fitted by then (we had gone on holiday to get out of the way and had to trust the plumber to deal with it all without our 'interference'!)

Mind you - anyone who fits a 6'6" tall x 2' wide ladder rail to a lathe and plaster wall without anchoring it to the studs then promptly goes off on holiday himself to Florida for 3 weeks leaving us terrified it is going to fall off the wall and having to support it with jacks and bricks - must have a degree of competence called into question???!!! The room it is fitted in is about 9'6" x 10'6" - surely a rad that big for that sized bathroom is a tad over the top??

the isar/icos is as good as anything on the market, better than some worse than others but overall not a bad boiler

but like all modern boilers (and I paraphrase agile) it MUST be installed correctly, the system must be cleasned to the point where you are happy to eat your dinner off it, then cleasen again after the boiler has been installed

but Joe Blow public are not willing to pay for this, a chap comes along and gives a price of lets say 3k to install a boiler and carry out the above to the umpth degree AND bring it up to part P and all the rest, then some bloke comes up and says "I can do it of a grand guv", Then joe blow public thinks "mmmm Mr 3k must be taking the michael I will go with Captain dirty jeans and have it done foe the grand cos he WILL do exactly the same job for a third of the price" :rolleyes:

so the cheapy install gets done and then Mr Joe Blow Public whinges and whines that he has not a had a top notch job done, and poor him cos he HAS to trust the "professionals" to tell him want the best thing to do is, when he has dismissed the professional outfit who would do a top notch job and stand by their work but have the out right cheek to charge for it the bastards!!!!!!

You may or may not have gone with the cheapest quote you recieved and if you did not then get on to CORGI, the OFT and your local trading standards office and raise caine for this bloke

but if you did go for the cheapest well enuff said

We paid top notch and still got the *! £4800 for a 4 bed detached, boiler, Ariston storage tank (yes I know, but we were thinking of doing B & B at the time and wanted plenty of hot water - the irony is that the water pressure is so crap that we can only run one tap at a time anyway!), pipework, 10 new rads, a Kickspace and removal of the old system. We should have got other quotes and I am kicking myself for not doing that (well we tried, got another plumber in, but he never came back!), and this chap was known to us socially so we gave him the benefit of the doubt, as well as being Corgi registered etc.

He did come back and reset the shower tray in the downstairs shower room 18 months after it was originally fitted and found to be sloping in the wrong direction, but he can't remember where the isolation valves are for the radiator in there which hasn't been fitted yet as I still have to finish the tiling which got held up until the shower tray was done - but he thinks they might be under the floor in the back bedroom - which now has fitted carpet and a home office installed!!! Sigh.........

Disagreed about Ideal boilers. I've seen some very well installed ones with many and varied problems, including jammed pumps straight out of the box, leaks from virtually everywhere, inaccessible parts (AAV, PRV!!!) etc etc.

If a customer wants a cheap boiler, go with almost any Italian one, they're much better designed...

ACOperson said:
Disagreed about Ideal boilers. I've seen some very well installed ones with many and varied problems, including jammed pumps straight out of the box, leaks from virtually everywhere, inaccessible parts (AAV, PRV!!!) etc etc.

But the AAV is very accessible!

Its at the front immediately above the display PCB !!!

Tony

shouldnt have done the mcb, the fuse in the spur should have gone 1st. check to make sure that a 3a fuse is installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back