IDEAL ICOS HE 15 - Mind of its own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
We have an Ideal ICOS HE15 centtral heating boiler. Until now it has been working fine and was only serviced in January.

Last two days it has developed a "mind of its own" where outside of the programmed times, the boiler starts up, cuts in for a few seconds and then shuts down, going into standby mode again. The "c" shows in the display, suggesting it is on, whereas normally it would show a "0" when it is not in the program cycle. I can hear it cavitating inside, as none of the zone valves for the heating or water are opening and the pump is not running.

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I call in the service engineer - if I can get one at this challenging period.

I have done the usual "reset" and full power off, with no success, and there are no fault codes showing.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a sticking end switch on one of your zone valves rather than a boiler fault, but you do have a really poor boiler and the PCBs on them is total crap

Thanks,

Surprised at the comment about the boiler quality - not challenging it - as my niece's husband works for a building firm and both he and the engineer who serviced it two months ago said it was a good boiler.
I just have one question about your comment on the zone valve. If the issue is happening outside of the scheduled program times, how does a sticking micro switch on a zone valve cause the boiler to fire up, as there should be no power there, or signal to boiler?

I was going to suggest the microswitch until I noticed you said the pump is not running, I would hazard a guess that the pcb has gone faulty and to answer your question about the valve there is a permanent live in the valve that causes the boiler to fire regardless of room stat or programmer settings if the switch gets stuck.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

These are the zone valves I have. Drayton for HW and the other for CH. The CH actuator was changed a couple of months ago. The pump was new 3 months ago.

Attachments

• 20200422_110354.jpg
    20200422_110354.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200422_110449.jpg
    20200422_110449.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200422_110432.jpg
    20200422_110432.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 141
I can hear it cavitating inside, as none of the zone valves for the heating or water are opening and the pump is not running.
do you mean kettling ? if it is cavitating then the pump IS running and it is probably a stuck end switch as already said

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back