Ideal Icos HE15 command and burner light flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me please....
I have an Ideal Icos HE15. Late last year this fault happened and we lived with it as it sometimes 'righted' itself. Through the summer when heating wasn't on the boiler heated the water fine etc.
Now we're back to having central heating on the same problem has occurred again.
Basically the boiler is never in 'O' standby mode, it continuously receives a command and burner light flashes. Usually the burner light would stay on while the water was being heated, but it starts 'winding' down as soon as it ignites, this process goes on and on and on and on!!
Works perfectly fine when hot water is required or heating to the radiators.
Ideal assure me there is nothing wrong with boiler itself, they say it's an electrical fault. The wall thermostat works fine, the programmer seems to work but when it's turned off the boiler still is getting this command from somewhere.
I was also told it wasn't the PCB. I am having difficulty finding a plumber who has the electrical knowledge to help and haven't got anyone who will touch it.
I'm at a complete loss and any help or advise would be great.
Thanks guys! X :(

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a simple fault to resolve, you probably have a sticking end switch in one of your two-port valves.

Have any plumbers/heating engineers actually looked at it?

Hi
Thanks for your comment, a plumber looked at it last year but thought it would be PCB. Never got back to me with a quote and then weather got warmer so never got sorted as boiler has been ok all summer.
One thing I've noticed this morning, I turned the boiler off last night at the mains and although everything was off the Grundfos UPS pump was making a noise and sounding like it was pumping. Could this be the problem?

If you've turned it off at the mains and the pump is still running then something is very wrong. Sounds like you need another plumber to take a look.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. So do you think the pump could be responsible for sending a request for heat message to the boiler then?
Been all OK again today. It's so frustrating!!! It really does have a mind of its own. You don't know what to do for the best as when it's all fine like today a plumber will think I'm wasting his time!

The pump isn't at fault, I'll be one of the 2 port valves sticking intermittantly. A plumber should recognise this from the description of your fault.

Apologies Janjan205 for barging in on your thread but I have almost exactly the same problem. The only other thing I have found out is if I switch off the water heater by flicking the switch on the main fuse box, that seems to do the trick and the boiler goes back into Standby mode. When the water heater is switched back on again then the problem is back.

When on, the water heater does seem to be constantly running even when the Central Heating/Water programmer is set to off.

PS When I say water heater I am referring to the tank in my airing cupboard - As you can tell my knowledge is VERY limited!

Hi, no the more the merrier!!
My boiler works fine for days then goes into mental mode. I have contacted a few plumbers and no one has come up with a solution as yet.
So we are still suffering with the problem. Some times it rectifies itself by turning it all off etc but I generally turn it off completely and go to bed and manually turn it back on again in the morning.
Driving me mad!! If I get someone who can actually fix it I'll let you know what it was.
Janet

Hi, no the more the merrier!!
My boiler works fine for days then goes into mental mode. I have contacted a few plumbers and no one has come up with a solution as yet.
So we are still suffering with the problem. Some times it rectifies itself by turning it all off etc but I generally turn it off completely and go to bed and manually turn it back on again in the morning.
Driving me mad!! If I get someone who can actually fix it I'll let you know what it was.
Janet

Why don't you read the advice given? If it's driving you mad that much get someone in who knows what they're doing for a decent price. It will be a simple fault with a valve, but i suspect you are trying to get a cheap fix or even for free, sad really.

Hi Andygasman2010
I've phoned 3 different plumbers who all haven't a clue and scratch their heads! Then don't phone back either! The last guy who came couldn't find a fault with valves etc and recommended the PCB board to be changed.

I think it's possessed!!!

I do want someone to resolve this problem but just can't find anyone who knows what to do. Got another plumber recommendation yesterday so going to call them today I think. But no one seems interested, everyone I speak to seems to deal with installing new ones and they have a 'mate' who repairs boilers but they never call me either!

But then it works fine for a few days so then I don't call anyone else and now weeks have passed.

AAAAAHHHH!!!!!

maybe a plumber is the wrong person to call out.

you need a heating engineer/gas service engineer,who is registered to work on gas boilers and experienced on working with boiler external controls ie motorised valves,programers,thermostats,wiring.etc.

Good Luck.

Defending myself from whoever wrote that I am looking for a bargain or a freebie I do not appreciate being called sad.
Just someone who has a problem that unfortunately hasn't had resolved yet. So please don't insult me on this forum thank you.

why not post a photo here,showing the motorised valve arrangement,the wiring center, the wiring connector into the boiler and the programmer.

Get your self a multi meter to read mains voltage electric.
Hopefully the system is wired correctly.

A word of warning,the pcb on your boiler is very easily damaged.

Then you can be taken through the process of fault finding,i am sure others will be happy to help.

Good Luck

:eek:

Alternatively, go for a British Gas fixed price repair, it was £189 last time I looked. It's priced per fault so even if they replace something and the same thing happens again within a year they won't charge you again.

There is a divide in our trade between those that install and those that repair, if they're good at one they're likely to be not so good at the other. Of course, some can do both equally well.

The guy that recommended the PCB be replaced was just guessing by the sounds of it, probably based on the fact that these boilers can go through PCBs rapidly! I very much doubt your fault is caused by the PCB.

Advice has already been given in this thread regarding your fault so there's non sense repeating it.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back