Ideal Icos HE18 Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help?

Had British Gas out 6 weeks ago to the above bolier and replaced PCB'S plus a thermostat because boiler wouldnt stay alight , I also had to replace same on my Boiler mate 2000 as BG will not work on this system so got a guy who used to work for Gledhill to fix.

Things seemed fine but over last week or so boiler had started to rattle and bang a bit then last nght noticed no heating.

Boiler was flashing E and L went to bed came down this morning boiler completely dead, no power.

BG cant come out for 2 weeks.

Sponsored Links
Have you pressed the reset button?

Is there any water in the system after you re-filled the boilermate, especially if it is a boilermate 2?

If not sounds like the pcb has gone again from here.

Ask BG for a refund and get someone else in to fix it, if you can find someone this time of year, but will probably cost you double BG's price :cry:

The banging and rattling could have been the fan, or maybe the pump.

Are there any leaks on the boiler?

Thanks for that tried reset button but absolutely no power anywhere.
Unfortunately I will have to wait for BG as they fitted both PCB's to boiler in November so if they have gone should be replaced under warranty.

Someone suggested rattle could be condenser unit, I no techy so not sure but pipe for condenser is built through the wall to outside drain is that a problem.

Thanks Mark

If theres no power to the boiler and you have checked all the fuses, then it looks like the pcb again.

It could have been the fan that has taken out the pcb. Very common.

Sponsored Links
It could have been the fan that has taken out the pcb. Very common.[/quote]

i havent seen the fan take a pcb out yet

Out of my 40% failure rate on Isars/Icos's, well actually 43% but who's counting, I've had 5 where the fan has blown it.

Most of the time it's just the pcb though, buts that's enough for me to call it common ;)

I havent tried to get hot water once I found out there was no power I put on the emergency hot water/heating on the boilermate 2000.

I am not sure there is a fuse just for the Boiler, British Gas said the boiler should have its own isolation nowadays but when it was done, around 5 yrs ago, it runs alongside the boliermate, the switch to turn off power is in landing cupboard with boiler mate and turns both off.

No heating could be heating pump on boilermate not running
Boiler noises sounds like boiler pump on boilermate not running
This all suggests to me the Boilermate control board is duff.

As suggested by gas4you and idealno1 a flashing L & E is boiler pcb fault so you you might be unlucky and have two problems.

in the last three years havent had one fan take out a pcb,pump yes flamin loads

thanks for your replies, hopefully is PCB.

Gas Board replaced ones on boiler and had PCB replaced on Boiler mate all done in November.

Last time this happened Gas Board blamed boiler mate and boilermate guy said boiler had a problem which blew pcb on boilermate. All I know was that there was only 30v coming out of boilermate to boiler when pcb was replaced that was ok but boiler still had fault then pcbs replaced on bolier and all was fine except £500 hole in my wallet.

thanks for your replies, hopefully is PCB.

Gas Board replaced ones on boiler and had PCB replaced on Boiler mate all done in November.

Last time this happened Gas Board blamed boiler mate and boilermate guy said boiler had a problem which blew pcb on boilermate. All I know was that there was only 30v coming out of boilermate to boiler when pcb was replaced that was ok but boiler still had fault then pcbs replaced on bolier and all was fine except £500 hole in my wallet.

why didnt BG replace the BM pcb?

GB said they do not work on boliermates it comes under their unserviceable items. There are 2 boilermates they will work on but not my model.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back