Ideal Icos HE24 not responding to demand?

I do:cool: and consider my self a professional. In fact have two neon drivers in the bag in case one goes missing.
DP, don't trust them for checking a switched live connection because they lie.

Is it an S plan or Y plan? (Or one of the the other less used plans?)
Mine's an S Plan. Current theory is that the CH valve actuator's relay is duff and the 'intermittency' is when the HW thermostat switches in providing the demand for the boiler.
I've got the tools to find out tomorrow. Urgency is lower now the house is toasty again.

I use the neon tester everyday. Also use other test gear to repair boilers. If I need to check wire is 'hot', neon tester suffices. If I need to measure then neon is not the tester preferred but a meter is required

Which valve have you got that has a relay in it?

Sponsored Links

****, I keep posting before I've really worked out what's going on. Bugger.

So SM5203 actuators don't have relays in to provide the switched live for a boiler?

I do:cool: and consider my self a professional. In fact have two neon drivers in the bag in case one goes missing.

Mine's an S Plan. Current theory is that the CH valve actuator's relay is duff and the 'intermittency' is when the HW thermostat switches in providing the demand for the boiler.
I've got the tools to find out tomorrow. Urgency is lower now the house is toasty again.

I use the neon tester everyday. Also use other test gear to repair boilers. If I need to check wire is 'hot', neon tester suffices. If I need to measure then neon is not the tester preferred but a meter is required

Dangers or neons may be overhyped. But why would you want to use a test device that requires you to be a part of the circuit and the only thing protecting you is a cheap resistor? When you can get proper test instruments for not too much money. And yes I know it is very unlikely for the resistor to short if it fails. But it is possible

Sponsored Links
Yes looking at the sunvic website, if the valve is opening and closing (this one is powered open (yellow wire) and close (white wire) rather than spring return) When the valve is fully open there should be 240V on the orange wire.

****, I keep posting before I've really worked out what's going on. Bugger.

So SM5203 actuators don't have relays in to provide the switched live for a boiler?

Granted MOMO does have a relay in it, BUT how common is it. Been in this game for over 30 years and have seen odd one once a blue moon:cautious:.

Dangers or neons may be overhyped. But why would you want to use a test device that requires you to be a part of the circuit and the only thing protecting you is a cheap resistor? When you can get proper test instruments for not too much money. And yes I know it is very unlikely for the resistor to short if it fails. But it is possible

Fluke 116 is part of the tool kit. I would not venture out without it:love:

Have another three digi meters and an Avo 8 as backup

So why use a neon at all if you have one of the best multimeters going dp? I personally wouldn't. But each to their own

Last edited:
So why use a neon at all if you have one of the best multimeters going dp? I personally wouldn't. But each to their own
Use the tool that give best and quick results
Quick checking for presence of mains- neon
Checking cable for mains voltage- volt stick
Fault finding- without doubt a digi meter

Replaced the SM5203 with an SZ2301 and we're all hunky dorey again. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

One point that troubles me somewhat, the SM5203 was power open/power close whereas the SZ2301 is spring close. System works fine but is it OK to swap like this or am I missing something again?

It's fine, the fully motorised ones are more reliable and energy saving as the motor isn't powered all the time. You don't see them often as extra wiring is needed to make them work.

It's fine, the fully motorised ones are more reliable and energy saving as the motor isn't powered all the time. You don't see them often as extra wiring is needed to make them work.

I believe newer MOMO are straight swop for Spring return hence the relay as the controller

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back