Ideal Isar 30100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I have an Ideal Isar 30100 boiler which has developed an L F error. Unfortunately I do not have the manual for my boiler (is one available on line) but did go onto the Ideal site and sourced the manual for the later Isar HE. Obviously I am aware that these two boilers are different, however on following the flow diagrams for the updated boiler it leads me to think that the detection electrode might be to blame.

I assume this because the boiler does relight after pressing the reset button (all be it for a second or two). I've also carried out a continuity check on the cable and seems that there might be a break in the part. If any of you guys in the know could confirm this (or tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree) then I'd be ever so greatful. The part number for the spare would also be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
When was the last time it was serviced

LF is flame ignition failure

For want of a better expression, there are a 101 things that can cause L-F on an Ideal.

Firstly as Corgi says, the condense trap could be blocked through lack of servicing, very common, or the drain blocked further down the line.

Once this is checked it could be flame detecion electrode or connecting wire, ignition electrode, these usually warp to far to produce a spark, could be faulty gas valve, could be flue thermistor.

One would really have to be there to diagnose correctly.

Sponsored Links
Condensate trap would make it sound funny, explosive ignition or gurgling, but worth a check.

Sensing electrode could be the cheaper option after the trap,
last call the PCB. Very common fault on the good old Isar!

Thanks Guys,

I'll check the condensate trap as suggested. I'd downloaded the manual for the HE version of the boiler, There appears to be some cosmetic changes, would I be right in thinking that the part numbers are different as well?

Mark

Apart from the cosmetic changes between the M30100 and the HE30, several of the parts are different, especially the pcb.

Electrodes are different in the HE
Fan is different
PCB is different
Loads is different

Call someone in who knows what they are doing is my advice

:)

Guys,

Thanks for the number of replies I've got. After a long break I'm back, before I actually admit defeat could I ask one more question?

I removed the ignition electrode out of the combustion chamber, reset the boiler and checked to see for a spark at the electrode. I didn't see anything. Am I right in thinking that this may be the problem? I've checked for continuity on this and found nothing! I even double checked my meter to make sure!!!!!

Could it be that it is the ignition electrode after all?

Mark

its a definate possiblity

If you buy the PCB you get a new flame electrode and flame detection electrode with it

Guys,

Thanks for the number of replies I've got. After a long break I'm back, before I actually admit defeat could I ask one more question?

I removed the ignition electrode out of the combustion chamber, reset the boiler and checked to see for a spark at the electrode. I didn't see anything. Am I right in thinking that this may be the problem? I've checked for continuity on this and found nothing! I even double checked my meter to make sure!!!!!

Could it be that it is the ignition electrode after all?

Mark

Did you hold it 3-4 mm from HE so the spark had somewhere to jump to?

Matt, I've never got the ignition electrode with a new pcb. Where do you get yours from?

HE so the spark had somewhere to jump to?

Matt, I've never got the ignition electrode with a new pcb. Where do you get yours from?

only on the M series from parts center

I have bleedin hundreds of electrodes in the back o me wagon now

:):):):)

Ive had a mare with one of these today.

Boss asked me to go to a job that has had 8 visits in 3 weeks.
Its had 3 boards, leads and spark electrodes, burner been cleaned and GV replaced.

It stll has persistant L-F fault. Condensate is clean, all thermistors are ok, clean and sat properly on pipes. It has a strong spark and yet it still doesnt run properly.

We have officially given up. I spent 2.5hrs on it today and acheived nothing. Ideal are coming next week to throw parts at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back