ideal isar boiler honey well thermostat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have an ideal isar boiler workng ok

the house in question is empty waiting and for a tenant to move in soon and i switched off the boiler controls completley to save money.

however , with the cold snap i decided to go down today and turn it back on so that if there was a frost my pipes dont burst . the room thermostat (honeywell ) programmer was set to 'off' on the honeywell which is on the wall in the poorch near the door.

however when i turned on the control on the boiler on the isar, the radiators came on and the pre-heat for hot water and the 'c' was displayed even thought the honeywell programmer was off ,so i switched it off (the boiler)and switched the on the programmer to ''on'and then off
when i switched the boiler the again 'c ' button dispplayed and then the normal things pre-heat water ect and then back to '0' and the green button on the wall conmtrol for the honeywell went off
i stayed there for some time and it(the boiler ) stayed like that in the'0' position i also turned the radiotors down to 2 just in case they came on when im not there !
do you think it was just going through the frost potection mode as it has been very very cold empty property and just warming the pipes to protect the boiler ? i called isar and i got different info
bofriend says to leave it
but im not sure if i shlould just go and check it again tomorrow - but i do libve a train journey away but if anyone can help
the boiler had been off for over a week in the cold and property completley empty
i was at two minds on weather to shut it down on leave on but i was worried about pipes but any advice the therm and boiler are five years old and have been working fine in the past no probs

Sponsored Links
I and the others would like to offer advice, btu there was so little punctuation it made no sense.

Lighten up.

trying to read the edit, and it is still a little unclear - to me at least.

Main thing is leave the boiler switch on, the heating turned on, and the thermostat on the wall set to between 10 and 14.

Its an Isar, so be prepared to skip it soon.

Sponsored Links
ok -

im holding a child on my knee so trying to type as fast as i can and do other things

i was concerned as to why the rads came on when the room thermostat was set to 'off' there is an option on the honeywell temp to set to auto , manual or off , and it has front control which will overrride if it goes less that 5c or something

as the boiler had been 'dormant' for some time and the house was 'freezing'when i arrived - i kept my coat and scarf on and i was talking to neighbours , front door open, i thought that it was just the frost protection kicking in

i left the boiler running but set to '0'
i like the boiler as it was the only one i can actualluy understand but ive already had a pump replaced in july - so i wouldnt reccommend this model

it was done one the warm front scheme so there are a lot around - the gas man said they are causing many problems but ok to fix

dan -

watch your grammar.

its the others and I
not i and the others

just so we can understand it better

can you try to type and punctuate at the same time one handed ?

They are utter, utter shlte as are most things that come out of the Ideal stable.

My thoughts on Warmfront aren't for polite company, although I wonder why you have a warmfront installation in a rental property?

Anyway.

Your boiler was probably in frost protection mode if it settled down.

And try not to be too facetious. I was commenting on the total lack of grammar making your query unintelligible.

And your correction is incorrect. A common misconception is this putting the third person before the first.

I have a 4 year old, so yes I am well aware of the need to multi-task.

thanks dan

the property is my own but i let it out to someone when my mum passed away, I inherited hers so i dont live there now.

At the time of the installation my old boiler broke and I was on a low income with a baby so that explains that.

I did think that it was in some sort of frost protection mode of something I did ring isar but i didnt get much information off them. But im a constant worrier about these things .

thanks

No worries...

The main thing is settled down to 0 once it had had its little episode.

It will fire up periodically to maintain the preheat, but it will cost bobbins compared to the damage frozen pipes cause.

Make sure you save some money to replace the boiler when it dies.

yes a plumber friend of mine told me pipes dont normally freeze has to be really cold and it is going to be 'really cold' tongiht and tomorrow and the frost could also do some boiler damage

yes it settled down - it was firing on 'c' for a few mins not very long - but settled to '0' when I switched it on and off again and also I twiggled around with the on off on the honeywell thermostant as I dont know if it needed to re set also

all was fine when I left - yes I know about the pre heat .

one of the problems I initally had with this make of boiler is that i had a dripping tap when it was first installed and the installer didnt mention to me that fact that the central heating wont come on if you have a drip so i had to get a new set of taps to get my flippin heating on !

a plumber friend of mine told me pipes dont normally freeze

Sorry to sound harsh - but that is very foolish advice.

Pipes do freeze and they cause carnage in a house - especially one that is all mains pressure like yours.

I speak from first hand experience of friends who went away and didn't follow my advice. Took over 4 months to dry and decorate the house.

Insurance builders were total muppets, and it has cost them hundreds to have even the basics put right.

I have an exposed water main at the moment due to building works and am defrosting it every morning with water form my heating system.

It is certainly not fun.

yes a plumber friend of mine told me pipes dont normally freeze has to be really cold

tell that to the bloke who's detached house I went to had 18 separate splits in pipework on the central heating system, 3 burst rads, two bust toilet ball valves and 3 splits on flexi hoses to basins (and a partridge in a pear tree!)

insurance left him dangling in winter for about 6 weeks before I was affected to do the repair.

So £30 on gas isn't all that bad really

all fine today dan boiler was on 'o' when i arrived and i stayed there a while and nothing was happening at all

gas meter had just gone up one digit - you can expect that to happen with just a pilot lights so sound fine now

dan -

watch your grammar.

its the others and I
not i and the others

technically correct, however archaic and fast going out of fashion.

even radio 4, the last bastion of the english tongue are succumbing...

fyi that was a pretty bitchy comment. miaow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back