Ideal Istor Boiler Fault Error Code L:E and H:E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I need a little advice, I have a brand new Ideal Istor boiler (well I bought it a few months ago) and it has been fitted today.

I did all the pipework to the frame and all that was needed to be done by the engineer was fit the flu and gas pipes and commission it. all pipework was checked (only went to a single underfloor heating manifold) and DHW so easy to do and check.

On testing he got an error almost straight away, it comes up with 6 in the display and then after about 5 seconds you get H:E it has also come up with L:E with the burner light on too.

He has said that it is going to need a new PCB, can anyone confirm that a brand new boiler that has never been used, could need a new PCB.

Is there any way of re-setting it.

Many Thanks

Pat

Sponsored Links
Thats crazy, it's brand new

What does the 6 mean before the error code ??

Looking through forums I didn't think they were that unreliable in comparrason to some of the other makes around, thing is it can't be tested and the installation completed so Ideal probably won't come out under warenty.

Any mechanical or electrical appliance can be or can become faulty at any time. Its not crazy its just life!

Part of the commissioning procedure is to fully test the operation to ensure its correct. If any faults are identified at that stage then they are covered by the warrantee and will be repaired within a few days by the manufacturers service engineers.

Service engineers do often find that new boilers have been damaged as a result of incorrect installation and particularly the connection of external controls. That is not normally covered under the warrantee.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Agile,

Thats the reply I was looking for, I'll get on to them later today.

No external controls had been fitted as yet, I havn't had chance to run the cabling as yet so should be OK there.

Thanks for your replies

Guy came back with a mate who he said knows a trick to get some of the boards working again and took 5 mins to fix the thing.

What he did (I watched quite intently) was remove the PCB from it's plastic case and discharged the capacitors on the board with a screwdriver.

Plugged it back in and went to 0 then to the little h meaning it was heating the tank, and has been working fine for the last hour.

Not sure if this will help out anyone in the future but it worked for me.

Thanks again

I will guess that what he actually did was a "hard reset" by disabling the storage capacitor which provided a supply to the volatile memory of the board.

One assumes that it had somehow "locked up" and the hard reset cured the problem.

I doubt that this is a manufacturers approved procedure but perhaps its something the service engineers have learnt about.

It sounds like a likely way to cancel any warranty if it went wrong!

Can anyone explain it to me? ( Alan Simms please ? )

Tony Glazier

Just an update 5 months on and it's still working perfectly

Interesting about the PCB - I had a PCB fault the other night. Tried turning it on and off but to no sucess. The British Gas engineer showed up next day and the problem disapeared. Could have been simliar fault as you mentioned as the capacitor would have discharged over night and fixed the problem.

Have you got it insured - some of the problems I have are found at the below link

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=764032#764032

As with any electronics to do a cold reset you must leave the power off for around 1min.

Anyone with an Ideal boiler - good luck :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back