IDEAL logic 18 - no pressure gauge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - can someone tell me please where to find the water pressure gauge on my IDEAL LOGIC 18 boiler. I had it installed 3 years ago and its been fine. I have just turned my heating on ready for the autumn and notice that the downstairs radiators aren't getting hot, so I though that the first thing I would do is bleed the radiators (no air inside, cold water came out). No air in upstairs either (very hot water came out). So I went to check the pressure gauge, but I just cant find it ? photos attached. I looked underneath, on top, inside...but no gauge. Many thanks
20170924_155723[1].jpg
20170924_155955[1].jpg
20170924_160211[1].jpg
20170924_160225[1].jpg
20170924_160351[1].jpg
20170924_155723[1].jpg 20170924_155955[1].jpg 20170924_160211[1].jpg 20170924_160225[1].jpg 20170924_160351[1].jpg
20170924_160351[1].jpg

Sponsored Links
If it's on an open vent system there won't be a pressure gauge. If it's on a sealed system the gauge would be near expansion vessel.

Regards

1. Your boiler is a heat only boiler, not a combi, so it may have a small feed and expansion tank in the loft to top up system water, rather than being a sealed system.
2. If there is no small (20 litre or thereabouts) tank in the loft, it will have an expansion vessel somewhere, which is likely to have the pressure gauge close by. It will also have a small pipe (copper most likely) terminating outside with an open end.

rads upstairs hot ,rads downstairs cold ,and all full of water = lack of circulation. check pump is spinning before any other components.

Sponsored Links
Hello, yes it says its a heat only boiler on my receipt. I cant spot anything obvious in the loft next to my large tank though. I do remember that the plumber had some kind of hose attached to it when it was installed maybe that was used to fill it. How do I know if the pump is turning when I open the front ? where is the gas valve solenoid coil ?
If this is heat only / closed system, how do I replace a radiator and empty/fill the boiler with the correct amount of water ?

Thanks

you already advised us that the upstairs rads give out very hot water ,so your boiler must be firing up .forget the gas valve post ,Picasso hasn't got his glasses on again :LOL::LOL:. anyway post a pic of your hot water cylinder and associated pipework and valves. and your pump.so your questions can be answered.

If the downstairs radiators are all fed by pipes dropped from above, they could be air locked. You will get water out of the bleed valves, as the system is being pressurised by the water in the upstairs radiators. If you persist and can get rid of all the water coming out, eventually you'll get air, then water again. Ideally, each drop (flow and return) will have a drain off valve. Open this until water comes out, but of course you'll need something to drain into.

you already advised us that the upstairs rads give out very hot water ,so your boiler must be firing up .forget the gas valve post ,Picasso hasn't got his glasses on again :LOL::LOL:. anyway post a pic of your hot water cylinder and associated pipework and valves. and your pump.so your questions can be answered.

Humour Terence humour.

given the fact that you have had the boiler 3 years and its been working just fine ,but after summer months being idle ,central heating has just been turned on and your downstairs rads don't heat ,but upstairs do ,its highly unlikely that they are airlocked.considering you don't think you have an f/e tank in loft ,so its likely your system is sealed and pressurised ,its even less likely to be airlocked .

I would also advise that you put the outer cover back on pronto..... it is called a room-sealed appliance for a reason.

Be careful, A lot I go to for the first time are not refitted correctly, leading to a potential leak of burnt gases re-entering the room it is fitted in. And that is the end of the free Gas Advice.

Where id the plumber connect the "Hose".It is probably a filling loop.You presumably have a cylinder in the airing cupboard? The expansion vessel will typically be in there with it. Either way, the pressure gauge should be visible from the filling loop position. The hose is required to be removed when not actually filling, although that is regularly ignored.
large_Image_-_G24_Filling_Loop_copy.jpg

To fill, open one valve fully, then use the other to open and fill while observing the gauge. bleed rads. Check and repeat as necessary. If you find the two valves but no hose, a new kit is between about £10 and £20. Note that some have screwdriver slots rather than levers, and others only have one valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back