Ideal Logic Heat 18 Heat only - Removing Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ideal Logic Heat 18 heating only boiler. Although it is a heating only boiler, it does heat water in a cylinder when required. I need to remove a radiator and extend the pipe slightly to move the radiator slightly to the right. The radiators have drain plugs so I can connect a hose to it and turn the allen key to release the water. However, problem I can see is unlike a combi boiler there doesnt seem to be any pressure gauge on the boiler and not sure how once i've re-connected the radiator how do i re-pressurise this boiler?

Sponsored Links
I have a Ideal Logic Heat 18 heating only boiler. Although it is a heating only boiler, it does heat water in a cylinder when required. I need to remove a radiator and extend the pipe slightly to move the radiator slightly to the right. The radiators have drain plugs so I can connect a hose to it and turn the allen key to release the water. However, problem I can see is unlike a combi boiler there doesnt seem to be any pressure gauge on the boiler and not sure how once i've re-connected the radiator how do i re-pressurise this boiler?

Why don't you ping up some photos of your hot water cylinder John? That'll help us to help you fella!!

Why don't you ping up some photos of your hot water cylinder John? That'll help us to help you fella!!

Thanks for your reply. No problem, i will take some photos and post it tomorrow. The hot water cylinder is upstairs in a closet and the boiler is downstairs. I take it this might mean the radiator pressure is controlled from the upstairs closet. I will take photos and post it tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply. No problem, i will take some photos and post it tomorrow. The hot water cylinder is upstairs in a closet and the boiler is downstairs. I take it this might mean the radiator pressure is controlled from the upstairs closet. I will take photos and post it tomorrow.

OK mate. It'll certainly help to determine if you have a vented or unvented system.

Sponsored Links
If it's vented there won't be a gauge but unvented, and correct me if I'm wrong as I might well be, was the gauge on the first logics not underneath by the iso valves? Or am I thinking if something else ideal?

Jon

Heat only can be fitted to a sealed or unsealed system. Cylinder means nothing to what you want to do.
You need to check if you have a filling loop and an expansion vessel or a feed and expansion tank in the attic( unlikely if new build house ).
Ps draining and filing these systems can cause the boiler to throw up an FD fault if it traps air on refilling.

Here are some pictures of the setup.

Attachments

• cylinder1.jpg
    cylinder1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 586
  • cylinder2.jpg
    cylinder2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 502
  • cylinder3.jpg
    cylinder3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 515
  • cylinder4.jpg
    cylinder4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 454
  • cylinder5.jpg
    cylinder5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 509

John. Your photo shows both a pressure gauge under the (Red) expansion vessel. Also, the filling loop is behind the bypass valve below the zone valves at the front of the cylinder.
HTH

Many Thanks PullerGas. So just to confirm, If I drain my radiator system, the pressure gauge below the red vessel will drop. Once I have re-connected the radiator, I re-fill it using the valve I have drawn an arrow on in the attached picture? Is that correct? (and ofcourse not forgetting bleeding the air) I've read mixed opinions as to whether to bleed when system is hot and pressurised or when system is cold? If cold, then I assume I should bleed it straight after filling?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• filling-loop.jpg
    filling-loop.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 329
Any comments please? I want to remove the radiator fairly soon and want to be sure that I have understood it correctly. Is it definitely a sealed system and not a open-vented system?

That flexi filling loop has two black isolation style valves (one on each end) that are both on off position. So I assume I need turn these both to on to re-fill the system with water? The filling loop seems to somehow be connected to the white vessel on the top right is that right?

And finally, unlike a combi boiler that has a pressure gauge and one needle which needs to be between two certain points. on this gauge there are 2 needles, a black and a red. the black is not up on anything only the red is up on a value. if i drain the system is it the red needle that will go down? and when refilling do i just refill til red needle is on what it was prior to draining?

Last edited:
Many Thanks PullerGas. So just to confirm, If I drain my radiator system, the pressure gauge below the red vessel will drop. Once I have re-connected the radiator, I re-fill it using the valve I have drawn an arrow on in the attached picture? Is that correct? (and ofcourse not forgetting bleeding the air) I've read mixed opinions as to whether to bleed when system is hot and pressurised or when system is cold? If cold, then I assume I should bleed it straight after filling?

Thanks again.

Yup you've got it John. Top up the system when cold, 1-1.5Bar. Sorry John I missed your reply, planning world domination is a bit of a distraction & takes time.

Yup you've got it John. Top up the system when cold, 1-1.5Bar. Sorry John I missed your reply, planning world domination is a bit of a distraction & takes time.

:) Thanks buddy, much appreciated. That means the system is a sealed system and not a open-vented system right?

The flexi filling loop has two black isolation style valves (one on each end) that are both on off positions at the moment. So I assume I need turn both of them to on position to re-fill the system? The flexi filling loop seems to somehow be connected to the white vessel on the top right is that right?

Thanks

:) Thanks buddy, much appreciated. That means the system is a sealed system and not a open-vented system right?

The flexi filling loop has two black isolation style valves (one on each end) that are both on off positions at the moment. So I assume I need turn both of them to on position to re-fill the system? The flexi filling loop seems to somehow be connected to the white vessel on the top right is that right?

Thanks

Again you've got it right John. The filling loop is connected to the mains cold water, as is the white potable water expansion vessel........(y)

PS. Yes it's a sealed system.

Again you've got it right John. The filling loop is connected to the mains cold water, as is the white potable water expansion vessel........(y)

PS. Yes it's a sealed system.

Many thanks buddy. One last question. I am thinking to add 2 new radiators to the system. Each one to feed of an existing one. So in the living room I have a existing radiator from which I want to add another one and in the dinning room I have one that I want to also run an extra one from. Do I just Tee from the flow and return pipe from each radiator? I have drawn and attached a quick diagram I drew to explain.

Thanks

Attachments

• new-radiator.png
    new-radiator.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 281
Your design will work, but is dependent on size of pipe you are teeing into, the size and length of new pipe run and the size of the new rads. More importantly, it contravenes building regs to do what you propose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back