Some Details:
Ideal Logic+ 30
Boiler situated in loft
Semi-detached 3 bedroom
8 radiators mostly small with one large in living room
Radiators around 6-7 years old as was original boiler
TVR on all radiators
Mainly plastic piping

Ariston boiler died so just been replaced by BG with one of these Ideal Logic+30.

It was all signed off but within the day of installation it tripped on "No Water Flow Lockout". It still keeps tripping no matter what we do. A BG engineer was going to replace the thermostats on the boiler but I struggled to believe that the boiler would come with a fault. I know its not impossible but hopefully unlikely. Anyway after some discussion and me explaining how we ran our boiler he concluded that there might be an issue with the boiler not being able to cool down the flow.

When we run the CH we usually only have the odd radiator say 2-3 open maybe 30-50% depending on how cold it is. Often this will be on timer too. When he heard this he remembered that there wasnt a bypass valve installed. The theory is that with the lack of a bypass and the fact there is not a great deal of heat transfer with most of the rads on low that the boiler struggles with the heat coming in and therefore trips.

Of course my first thought is why trip on flow as opposed to heat but i suppose they are related and it can be down to the logic of this particular boiler.

We were advised to keep a couple of rads open at all times to help cool the water. We did this and there were no trips for a couple of days. Last night I turned down the big rad down a little .... the other 2 were still fully open. In the morning we found it had tripped ..... it was on timer through the night. I was beginning to think there might be some merit in this prognosis but then the missus tells me she had set it to "On Constant" through the afternoon and it tripped again. It doesnt appear to trip when its switched off and we just use it for HW but i havent really analysed if it trips more often after using water but the missus thought it did.

I bled the radiators last week and there was some air i.e. 4-6 seconds out of one of them upstairs. Did it again recently and there was nothing. The pressure sits just under 2bar and sometimes a little over.

I have also noticed while its running that the status is "pump overrun".

I was going to get them to come back and fill a bypass valve but just unsure if this will resolve the issue.

Please give me your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
I presume they commissioned the thing correctly? I would interested in what temperature differential they got on the he4ating flow and returns with the Trv's turned off? Do you have an uncontrolled radiator adjacent to your roomstat? You do have a roomstat?

Do me a favour? Take a Trv head off the large rad, test it and if all works ok, get BG back to commission correctly and sort the Trv issue out.

Full Trv's? No uncontrolled? Sorry just saw that in your post. Where is your roomstat located? Unscrew the head of the TRV and test.

Full Trv's? No uncontrolled? Sorry just saw that in your post. Where is your roomstat located? Unscrew the head of the TRV and test.

Hi BDL .... no roomstat m8 .....

Is it sraight forward process to remove the TRV's ? how do I test them ? .... drop them in hot water or something ?

Sponsored Links
the BG Cwboys have ridden up and sold you a pony!!

crap boiler from a crap manufacturer, fitted by a crap installer that can't even fit it correctly!! bet you paid over the odds as well! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

...Ariston boiler died so just been replaced by BG with one of these Ideal Logic+30....

Get them back to sort it out. It is pointless asking us here, as nobody bar the installer or Ideal should touch it.

...I struggled to believe that the boiler would come with a fault.

Although no disasters have been reported on this particular model so far, Ideal is very comfortably in the lead when it comes to producing rubbish boilers.

Just unscrew the Trv head and leave it off, if the boiler does not lock out then BG need to sort. You cannot have full TRV'S, no bypass and no roomstat.

BG MUST install a roomstat, and the radiator adjacent must not have a TRV.

It really trashes my mind when BG do this. Total jokers.

Firstly no boiler is designed to be fited to a system when the user and the TRVs will create a no system flow situation.

The system should have an auto bypass. BG nupties at fault there.

But if you dont want so much heat then turn down the rad temp knob on the boiler. That will be more efficient and reduce the heat output and keep the TRVs open more.

Tony

Firstly no boiler is designed to be fited to a system when the user and the TRVs will create a no system flow situation.

The system should have an auto bypass. BG nupties at fault there.

But if you dont want so much heat then turn down the rad temp knob on the boiler. That will be more efficient and reduce the heat output and keep the TRVs open more.

Tony

That actually occured to me but the manual says in winter to have it up full. Coupled with this is the fact that the boiler is up in the loft and just as called as it is outside I was a wee bit worried about deviating from best practise. The previous boiler was said to have a fractured heat exchanger which I suppose could have been due to cold conditions. The missus persists in using Timed function even when my nipples are like fitbastuds.

Could you please elaborate further on:
"Firstly no boiler is designed to be fited to a system when the user and the TRVs will create a no system flow situation." - not sure what you mean here m8

"The system should have an auto bypass" - is this something more than a standard bypass valve i.e. a proper control valve.

I am not that up on my HC/HW system but willing to learn ...... now that I need to :rolleyes:

If you look at the 'Boiler Interlock' paragraph on page 9 of the service & installation instructions, the MI's make it quite clear how this should have been fitted.

BG sound as if they haven't fitted it to MI's. MI's over rule any regulations etc etc.

Get them back to install it correctly.

That actually occured to me but the manual says in winter to have it up full.

the manual is wrong then, no wonder Ideal have had trouble making good condensers when they dont know whats good for them !
You should run the temp at the lowest setting that will give satisfactory heat to the home. Should I mention that Ideal do a weather sensor for this? Don't wanna steal away alecs job. :D

WHERE TF IS THE ROOM STAT, DO BG KNOW ABOUT PART L, IT'S ONLY BEEN IN SINCE APRIL 2002 OR IS IT 03, CANT REMEBER IT'S BEEN THAT BLOODY LONG.

I believe the installer was contracted in !!!

The boiler is also free courtesy of BG Homecare. But if there is something specific that you think I should be pulling them up for then certainly say.

I was suprised to hear that you think they should have installed a room thermostat. Also there was never a bypass valve in the first place should they have added it ? Again I am not sure but I would have thought they would take responsibilty for the boiler as opposed to the system ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back