Ideal Logic Heat 15 standard condensing not a combi - Intermittent F2 / L2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted before but cant find it, things have moved on but the problem still keeps coming. The engineer is stumped.
It has been serviced, gas valve changed, Igniter changed, flame detection sensor cleaned (looks very clean)
Condensing pipe def not blocked. It will fire up and run but does seem to go off and call pretty frequently which i understand is normal, but its when it calls it tends to take a few calls or goes into F 2 code (which is the same as L2)
The pressures and mix was all tested during the service and were found to be good. I am wondering if any one has any further ideas as I am not keen to keep calling the engineer when he is stumped as the next thing will be to change something else and see what happens.
Whats weird every time something has been done, seems to run a little better but then F2 appears and begins to be more frequent.
He has also checked the fan and flue for any blockage.

Not to much left inside the thing. Wishing i never had an Ideal boiler apparently Worcester or Vaillant are the best.

Comments from thoughts or experience with this or similar and appreciated

Sponsored Links
Not to much left inside the thing. Wishing i never had an Ideal boiler apparently Worcester or Vaillant are the best.

Comments from thoughts or experience with this

They really aren't...

As to your boiler, if your own engineer is stumped, try calling Ideal themselves who will offer you a fixed -price repair with 12 month warranty

The engineer is stumped.
It has been serviced, gas valve changed, Igniter changed, flame detection sensor cleaned

It seems you are a victim of what I call a 'car mechanic' repair, that is 'keep replacing things until it works again'. Usually only one item fails at any time, the skill is to find and cure that fault to get the boiler working again, beyond that it may be advisable to replace worn or substandard parts to bring performance back to an acceptable level. I agree with Muggles, at this stage, and to avoid protracted expense, call Ideal to arrange a proper diagnosis and repair.
An important part of fault diagnosis is to isolate the opinion from the fact, so please answer the following questions:-

1. Does the boiler fire each time it calls for heat? How do you know it has fired?
2. Does the 'c' symbol appear in the display when heating is called for and the room thermostat is turned up high?
3. Does the blue light illuminate seconds after the ignition process starts?
4. Does the blue light stay on?
5. Do all the radiators get hot before the boiler shuts the flame off? (clearly all/any TRVs should be set to max for this test)
6. Feel the boiler primary pipework, is the RHS pipe hotter than the LHS, and is there between 10C and 20C temperature difference between them?
7. Is the boiler temperature knob set to 'e' or thereabouts?

Hello Meldew personally seen the engineer and as far as the answers go.
1. I would say yes, you hear it and the engineer took it out to witness it sparking.
2.Yes
3. Yes in most cases during the cycle, however it does go off immediately when it fails and starts the process again until it lights and (majority of time) stays on or it error codes
4. answer in 3. Yes but the issue of non starting is intermittent but on a daily basis at some time.
5. Yes
6. I cant be sure of the difference
7. Yes

Adding to this when it runs which it also does every day, it seems to run well, water and heating as expected, until the intermittent recalling for either heat or water when the temp drops, then is when the start process can be intermittent.

Hate boilers but we need them. I may well have to bite the bullet and instead of getting the engineer again, call and pay ideal the fixed fee, which i suspect will not be that cheap, I suspect it may be something on the electronic or electric side, maybe the ignition module or a lead rather than the actual igniter, which seems to run worse that the older one removed.

Sponsored Links
I tried three recommended GS engineers, one two busy and doesn't like Ideal, 2nd kept promising and never came back, third has been the one doing the works, book signed and have his registration number also. None of them liked Ideal boilers and have done very little works if any with the ideal Logic range. All three were Worcester Bosh fans. This must say something. Problem is I just do not want to keep throwing money at it and not being fixed (just like you do with cars) so I am now toying with an idea of having it taken out and replaced with a Worcester one. Its only been in 2 and half years so never have another one of them based on this experience so far.

More than likely Steely, it's not a difficult one to fix.
Great wee boilers & easy to repair.
Like everything in life, easy if you know what to do and have the correct equipment. I am pretty practical but not able to do things anyway, but sorry to say although its best left to those that are supposed to know. Unfortunately that has proved not to have worked either yet.

Hello Meldew personally seen the engineer and as far as the answers go.
1. I would say yes, you hear it and the engineer took it out to witness it sparking.
2.Yes
3. Yes in most cases during the cycle, however it does go off immediately when it fails and starts the process again until it lights and (majority of time) stays on or it error codes
4. answer in 3. Yes but the issue of non starting is intermittent but on a daily basis at some time.
5. Yes
6. I cant be sure of the difference
7. Yes

Adding to this when it runs which it also does every day, it seems to run well, water and heating as expected, until the intermittent recalling for either heat or water when the temp drops, then is when the start process can be intermittent.

Hate boilers but we need them. I may well have to bite the bullet and instead of getting the engineer again, call and pay ideal the fixed fee, which i suspect will not be that cheap, I suspect it may be something on the electronic or electric side, maybe the ignition module or a lead rather than the actual igniter, which seems to run worse that the older one removed.
Wrong!
F2 is a flame loss so has nothing to do with ignition.
You have an air/gas mixture problem or flame detection problem.
I won't go into to much details on what to check as you aren't a GSR engineer.
Get ideal out I'm sure their engineer will be better placed to fix it than someone who doesn't even like the boilers.

He gave me a print out of something titled combustion.

Fuel 02 % 7.3
CO2 % 7.7
CO ppm not clear but looks like 38
Flue 4.7
Inlet 15.6
nett -11.1

EFF -----
Losses ------
XAIR 53.6

CO/CO2 0.0004

prs mbar unclear looks like -0.06

I think this was took before he changed the gas valve (pretty sure anyway)

All means nought to me.

Where did you get the FGA fella??
If the Mod can't see this DaftyDIYer Gas work they must be blind or chugging their mutton all evening??!!

Why are you so reluctant to call Ideal out on a fixed price repair? You were advised to call them in February and again in March, and again in this new thread. A new boiler really isn't the answer here

Why are you so reluctant to call Ideal out on a fixed price repair? You were advised to call them in February and again in March, and again in this new thread. A new boiler really isn't the answer here
Oh, he's a repeat offender!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back