Ideal Logic Heat 15 standard condensing not a combi - Intermittent F2 / L2

Well that may be your first problem.

You need a competent engineer with diagnostic skills to come and DIAGNOSE the problem.

When a new gas valve is fitted the FGA readings need to be repeated to check if it is working properly. You seem to have engaged a nupty, told him to do a service because that is cheap and not had it repaired!

You complain that Ideal are too expensive but they are a large company and their prices are typical of the marketplace, that means reasonable. It is you who think everything is too expensive and so employ nupties who change parts which were not required. False economy !

You seem to be asking for someone to come and fix your boiler in 30 minutes. Presumably because you think that you will pay less for a quick repair? But I have to tell you that the top 100 boiler engineers charge the same diagnostic fee however long or short the repair takes! If they can do it quickly then that is to their benefit because of their greater skills!

Tony
I only mentioned 30 min because it was claimed thats all it would take. I have had a guy here 3 time, i have not told him what to do only the problem and to have it fixed and serviced. I had tried two before him that let me down, three if you include trying ideal who said it would be a month. This gut was recommended to me by a tradesman (i generally try to use anyone via a recommendation. If it is that easy unsure why any engineer would not be able to fix over one visit let alone three visits and still going. Granted it is intermittent which may be the problem. It has worked fine all day but surprised if it doesn't play up again soon.

Sponsored Links
Yea, there you go Shambo. If the flight, car hire & other charges can be done cheaper than the Ideal FPR, the jobs yours!!

I'd do it myself, but I'm wanted in that area.
Was just about to say that!! Pay my flights and accommodation and I'm in. :D

Anyone locked the boiler in low rate? Or high rate? Then took FGA readings for both?

Sponsored Links
logics are a very good boiler, only issues i found is following so called engineers who service them without even opening the case, this is the same with all other boilers aswell.

logics are a very good boiler, only issues i found is following so called engineers who service them without even opening the case, this is the same with all other boilers aswell.
Oh you bitch Snoppy!! Depends if it's classed as a Service or Safety Check really.

Oh you bitch Snoppy!! Depends if it's classed as a Service or Safety Check really.

haha, yes the old safety check. Went to a logic that had been serviced for 3 years in a row by a so called service engineer, i took case off and spotted daylight / a hole in the case where a grommet was missing. not a good safety check if you cant even visually check the boiler is safe to use. Since bin to 4 houses in same street who used the same guy and now use me who all have said he only took 10mins, im also cheaper. he must have a villa in spain ready for when he needs to hide from his manslaughter charge lol.

haha, yes the old safety check. Went to a logic that had been serviced for 3 years in a row by a so called service engineer, i took case off and spotted daylight / a hole in the case where a grommet was missing. not a good safety check if you cant even visually check the boiler is safe to use. Since bin to 4 houses in same street who used the same guy and now use me who all have said he only took 10mins, im also cheaper. he must have a villa in spain ready for when he needs to hide from his manslaughter charge lol.

Maybe he stuck his probe in there to do his ADI test??!! Grommet missing eh, yes very dangerous -someone could die from fresh air poisoning!!
You're great Snoopy & credit to the trade!!.......& learned all that on a six week course too!!

Thesewerethe Qs
1. Does the boiler fire each time it calls for heat? How do you know it has fired?
2. Does the 'c' symbol appear in the display when heating is called for and the room thermostat is turned up high?
3. Does the blue light illuminate seconds after the ignition process starts?
4. Does the blue light stay on?
5. Do all the radiators get hot before the boiler shuts the flame off? (clearly all/any TRVs should be set to max for this test)
6. Feel the boiler primary pipework, is the RHS pipe hotter than the LHS, and is there between 10C and 20C temperature difference between them?
7. Is the boiler temperature knob set to 'e' or thereabouts?

These were the answers
1. I would say yes, you hear it and the engineer took it out to witness it sparking.
2.Yes
3. Yes in most cases during the cycle, however it does go off immediately when it fails and starts the process again until it lights and (majority of time) stays on or it error codes
4. answer in 3. Yes but the issue of non starting is intermittent but on a daily basis at some time.
5. Yes
6. I cant be sure of the difference
7. Yes

Adding to this when it runs which it also does every day, it seems to run well, water and heating as expected, until the intermittent recalling for either heat or water when the temp drops, then is when the start process can be intermittent.

Hate boilers but we need them. I may well have to bite the bullet and instead of getting the engineer again, call and pay ideal the fixed fee, which i suspect will not be that cheap, I suspect it may be something on the electronic or electric side, maybe the ignition module or a lead rather than the actual igniter, which seems to run worse that the older one removed.

Look at the answer to Q3. I think the answer is 'NO'. Remember I'm interested in the SYMPTOMS of the fault, not a mixture of the symptoms of fault and non-fault.
In A5 you say that the radiators get hot, that is a symptom of correct boiler operation, not of the fault you are trying to have diagnosed.
A6. What? you can't be sure of the difference between right and left?
Look at the last sentence of that quoted, there is little to be gained by guessing at possibles, and much to be lost from your pocket mainly.

You have had the gas valve changed, but not set up correctly. Again I suggest you call out Ideal to fix the problem properly.

Thesewerethe Qs

These were the answers

Look at the answer to Q3. I think the answer is 'NO'. Remember I'm interested in the SYMPTOMS of the fault, not a mixture of the symptoms of fault and non-fault.
In A5 you say that the radiators get hot, that is a symptom of correct boiler operation, not of the fault you are trying to have diagnosed.
A6. What? you can't be sure of the difference between right and left?
Look at the last sentence of that quoted, there is little to be gained by guessing at possibles, and much to be lost from your pocket mainly.

You have had the gas valve changed, but not set up correctly. Again I suggest you call out Ideal to fix the problem properly.
You aren't allowed to adjust the gas valve on a Logic though.

There is though:whistle:;)
Of course there is, the same gas valve is used in other boilers,just mounted differently, Ideal dont issue the figures for setting the gas valve up but its not rocket science to know when the valve is slightly out

I think that Ideal are the only manufacturer who don't want RGIs to adjust their gas valves. Presumably thinking some don't know what they are doing?

But presumably do let their service engineers adjust them?

I had a similar problem on an early Isar and asked for permission to adjust it but they would not agree and sent their design team engineer as well as some kind of regional engineer.

They did the tweak and vowed to have the auto test at the factory changed. Apparently it only tested it on full power and "that it modulated". But not that it stayed alight at min power!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back