Ideal Logic Pump Overrun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a DIY question but I know there are a few good heating engineers here. I've got a few of these Ideal Logic's to connect at work on an S Plan system, and I've noticed that there's a pump live terminal in the boiler but the manual doesn't suggest it be connected or seem to mention it at all. The Plumber on site reckons most boilers don't need it these days? I was always taught to connect it if available, the houses do have a bypass?

Sponsored Links
I'm not a heating engineer, but I've wired up a few ideals. I'm assuming that you are wiring up a 'heat only' version as an S-Plan to supply heating and hot water, and not a Combi connected to a couple of 2-Port motorised valves for upstairs / downstairs zoning of the heating.

The S-Plan wiring diagram from the Logic Heat version manual, shows the pump wired to the orange wires of the motorised valves, the same as the boilers switched live, so without a pump overrun.

However, I'm not sure this is the same version of the boiler that you are referring to, because I don't see the "pump live terminal in the boiler" that you refer to.

Capture.JPG

Yes Logic heat only boiler on an S Plan. The P/L Terminal is located to the side of the others. Where the Blank box is on your diagram.

The manual I have doesn't show any other connections present...

Capture.JPG

so yours must be a different version.

Is there a circuit diagram in the manual you have showing it connected as an S-Plan. If so, where does it show the pump connected to?

Sponsored Links
I'll try and post the image

Attachments

• DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 2,270
Last edited:
Not sure if you can see that image but it shows the pump connected to the S/L and the P/L not used, which I find a bit strange.

Yes, I can see it fine. That's exactly the same image I posted that shows the pump being controlled by the motorised valves, meaning it will go on and off with the boiler. So no pump overrun.

Yes, I can see it fine. That's exactly the same image I posted that shows the pump being controlled by the motorised valves, meaning it will go on and off with the boiler. So no pump overrun.

It's not excactly the same as your image, mine shows the P/L on the left of the boiler terminal block whereas in yours it doesn't show it. It shows it in the manual and it's also on the boilers but it makes no further mention of it in the manual. Maybe it's a new addition to their boilers, I've emailed them to clarify.

What I was referring to as "identical" was the wiring diagram for the S-Plan that I posted that shows the pump is connected directly to the motorised valves and not to the boiler.

Capture.JPG

and is the same as per the wiring diagram for the S-Plan that you posted.

DSC_0046.JPG

It will be interesting to see what Ideal say though.

Ideal didn't shed a great deal of light on the subject to be honest. He said the Logics don't have a pump overrun, so I'm assuming that the P/L terminal is live only when the boiler S/L is live, and is included for ease of installation if the pump is local to the boiler? I'll find out for sure when we've got power in the plots after Christmas.

Ideal didn't shed a great deal of light on the subject to be honest. He said the Logics don't have a pump overrun, ...
Really??

From the Installation Manual

3. Set the central heating external controls to OFF. The burner should go off and the pump continue to run for two minutes.

If that's not pump overrun, what is it?

Heat only used to have a pump overrun on early version so pump had to be wired from boiler.
Since last year they haven’t so just use your end switches on zone valves to feed boiler and pump together.
System and combi need a bypass as they have overrun

Really??

From the Installation Manual

3. Set the central heating external controls to OFF. The burner should go off and the pump continue to run for two minutes.

If that's not pump overrun, what is it?
@D_Hailsham sometime things are cut and pasted from old to new manuals in error or you are looking at an older manual depending on serial number.

Whilst the OP was referring to the 'Heat Only' version of the Ideal Logic, I have seen a very recent Combi version of the Ideal Logic, that still has the pump overrun and exercise routine. (Hence my original question about which version it was) Maybe that's adding to the confusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back