Ideal Mexico Super 2 CF60P (LPG Boiler) Help Please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on a problem I'm having with a circa 1990 Ideal Mexico Super 2 CF60P LPG boiler?

The boiler is on a timer set to come on from 7am - 8.30am and again from 4.30pm - 10.30pm.

The problem may only occur once in the morning, but perhaps upto four times in the evening.

It fires up normally with a nice blue flame spread evenly over the burner plate, at say approx. 10mm in height.

When the problem occurs it fires it with real gutso, and the flame across the burner plate is still blue but approx. twice the height, i.e 20mm

I switch the boiler off, wait a couple of seconds and swith back on again and it fires up normally.

I've had the regulators on the LPG cylinder checked by the LPG supplier, who confirmed that they were operating correctly.

The gas engineers who service the boiler annually concluded that it must be the Gas Control Valve within the boiler itself, this has been replaced and although the boiler ran fine for the first day, the problem has returned!

Can anyone help me please? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
if you didnt switch it off after it fires with the larger flames, would they settle down to normal height on their own or do they stay the same height until it switches off itself for temperature?

if you didnt switch it off after it fires with the larger flames, would they settle down to normal height on their own or do they stay the same height until it switches off itself for temperature?

Hi,
Thank you for such a quick response!

Have never left it to carry on burning, as its quite alarming! I've always switched it off as soon as I've ran from wherever I am in the house.

On LPG theres a flange on the burner Im pretty sure - just make sure that aint damaged at all - I thought that was so there was no flashback though......

Sponsored Links
Do the gas valves on the LPG model have a slow rate start?

Did they replace it with the LPG gas valve? I believe they are different gas valves on the LPG.

Techy will confirm or not

:confused:

Do the gas valves on the LPG model have a slow rate start?

Did they replace it with the LPG gas valve? I believe they are different gas valves on the LPG.

Techy will confirm or not

:confused:

Hi,

Firstly, Thank you to all those who have posted a reply to my plea for help, I have never used any kind of forum before and appreciate the help in solving this problem.

I phoned Ideal Boilers to get the part no. for the LPG Gas Control Valve which I gave to the Gas Engineers and they have fitted the correct valve.
(You are correct, there are two valves, one for LPG & one for Natural Gas).

The Gas Control Valve does not have a slow start rate.

I have this morning phoned Ideal Boilers Technical Helpline and having described the symptoms & telling them that the Gas Control Valve has been replaced, they advise that the fault could be with the flue??

All help much appreciated! :)

Let me make sure tomorrow - will look in archives, and post 2moro nite

I would like to know when it was serviced was any damage in the burner noticed at all???

The boiler has always been serviced annually since its installation, last service carried out October 2008, no damage noted.

Thank you for your help, I'm confident we can solve this problem! :)

Just double checked at work - either flame is 'hunting' for air, or the burner pressure is set wrong......
Hunting for air would indicate bad gas air mixture...

Thank you :)

Hi,

I am able to answer your question now, (awaiting visit from gas engineer) the boiler fired up with the larger flames, I left it to see what it does, it just carries on burning with the larger flames until it reaches temperature and the thermostat switches it off.

I'll post the cause of the problem and its fix once we've found it!

Thanks to everyone for their contributions! Much appreciated! :)

Just double checked at work - either flame is 'hunting' for air, or the burner pressure is set wqrong......
Hunting for air would indicate bad gas air mixture...

Thanks again to everyone who left a message with a suggestion as to what could be the cause of the problem with our boiler.

The gas engineer came back and went through the "ideas" left by everyone, checked the inlet and burner pressures, all correct, checked the flue draw using 2 smoke pellets, again all ok, checked that the burner jet was the correct one and working correctly.
He then took everything that could be cleaned apart, cleaned it and put it back together and stayed as long as he could with it running to see if the problem would re-occur.

Touch wood it has been fine for a week now, so hopefully all is ok!
The gas engineer said "if it is cured I won't know for sure what was the problem!"

Thanks again to everyone! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back