Ideal Mexico Super 2 - Won’t Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changed faulty (though still performing basic functions) Potterton EP2002 for replacement EP2, so had to turn off power and hence boiler.
To light boiler I followed instructions:-
1. Power and thermostat off
2. Slide Power Control Button to right, release and wait 3 minutes
3. Depress PCB and operate ignition button and after pilot lights keep PCB down for 15 seconds

But as soon as PCB released the pilot goes out. I made repeated (about 5) tries, waiting the prescribed 3 minutes before each, and held PCB down for increasing periods of up to about 90 seconds, but without success.

I don't see how, but could the new programmer be the problem ?

All advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Thanks DanR and Madrab for your advice. I’ve engaged a Gas Safe pro. who succeeded in lighting the pilot explaining that programmer has to be turned on (meaning power also reaches boiler which ignores Ideal’s instruction that power should be off ?), but boiler will not fire. Diagnosis was I need new Gas Control Valve.

But I’m told the GCV, which per Ideal’s original Installation instructions is a Honeywell VR 4700 E 1031, is unobtainable.

I’ve since made my own online enquiries and the nearest I found was V (not VR ) 4700 E 1031. I’m fervently hoping that either supplier’s description was wrong or the part has simply been renamed, but I can’t contact them until Monday.

If anyone knows the answer or knows where I can get the right part I’d be very grateful to hear from them.

Sponsored Links
That boiler needs no power to start the pilot light. I wouldn't trust your mans diagnosis. Get someone else.

As the others are saying, you dont need the power on to light your pilot light, find an engineer familiar with these, they are a very simple boiler, do not buy a gas valve and attempt to install it yourself , the valve needs setting up once installed , not a DIY job, and you may not need a gas valve, there is another part on your boiler that it is more likely to be .

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back