Ideal Mini C28 - Not igniting for DHW or CH.....but now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I came back from a week’s holiday on Sunday to find the boiler not working. It wasn’t working on either hot water or central heating.

In diagnostic mode the LED’s would sometimes just show a fast flash on LED 1 (‘Faulty boiler or irregular operation’) or alternatively LED 1 and 3 would flash normally with LED 2 Red on constantly (‘Lack of burner ignition’). I noticed the lockout light also came on the last few times I tested it but I’m not sure if this was coming on any of the other times I was testing.

It didn’t sound as if it was even attempting to ignite. I had a similar (but intermittent) problem last year but that time you could hear regular clicking as if it was trying to ignite. This was resolved by replacing the Ignition PCB.

I followed some advice on another post to check the water pump. It sounded as if it was running but I couldn’t be sure. When I took the middle screw out the first bit of water that dripped out looked pretty dirty - is this normal or could it indicate something wrong?

One of the other bits of advice to check whether the pump was working was to put a compass near the pump. I didn’t have one to hand so thought I might be able to feel it with a magnet. I put the magnet near the pump when it was on, it made a little bit of a funny noise and then the boiler started up. Now I’m not sure if it was by sheer coincidence or if by putting the magnet near the pump it somehow freed it slightly so it could spin freely (I can’t imagine it would have been strong enough but who knows). Is this likely or am I grasping at straws?

The boiler fired up fine last night and this morning but I’m worried I didn’t really get to the root cause of the problem and may just stop working again anytime soon. Is there anything else I can do to check?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
If a boiler has not been used for a while the pump can get seized up.

Even more likely if the water is dirty.

Your magnet had no effect on the pump. But perhaps slightly shaking it did.

You can turn it to unseize by rotating the end of the shaft as it tells you in the FAQ on this site ( which nobody seems to reads before posting their question ).

Anything to do with ignition of gas/combustion issues we don't advise on apart from suggesting a competent engineer to attend.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back