Ideal S24 mini locks out/red light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Been having some trouble with my Ideal S24 mini.

A few months ago, it started to go wrong, the red light would come out and I would need to press the reset button to get it to fire back up, it would only last a few hours if that, eventually it wouldn't fire up.

British Gas came out and after a few hours, the engineer found the issue to be some sort of micro switch, he said he cleaned it up and all was well again.

5 months later, it is erroring again. Only this time, after a reset, it does fire up everytime and lasts for anything from 12 hours to a few days without trouble.

When working, the green light is constantly flashing, I believe this means something is up but the boiler does continue to work, does my hot water and the central heating.

I found that I can flick a dip switch and internally, some other LEDs indicate the issue.
The issue being indicated when the boiler lights up the error/lock out light on the front is, according to the manual;

Faulty DHW temperature probe NTC

The heater knob is set to half way, the temp gauge typically indicates 60-65 degrees

The water pressure gauge, when hot is around 2.5, I have seen it at 3 and drained some water from a rad.

Any ideas what the problem is? Is it something I can have a look at myself? I have the manual but I haven't studied it in depth.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Pictures

46568637062_b3ea9c15fc_c.jpg

Pressure not so high now
46568643432_86bdbf5ff0_c.jpg

45706502365_ef766b4ae8_c.jpg

main green light is flashing 4 times a second
46568646112_a53e611948_c.jpg

Morning all,

Does anyone have any advice?

It’s remained stable over the weekend, seems a higher temp setting keeps it working but I’m sure it will fail again.

Thanks.

You need a new hw thermistor. I’d change the heating one too while your at it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

I take it that this will just be a little sensor that bolts inline somewhere (i can read the manual to locate that). I do a lot of DIY on cars so I imagine this will be pretty similar.

Will I need to just turn off the water and quickly swap out?

Cheers

Thanks!

I take it that this will just be a little sensor that bolts inline somewhere (i can read the manual to locate that). I do a lot of DIY on cars so I imagine this will be pretty similar.

Will I need to just turn off the water and quickly swap out?

Cheers
No you will need to drain the water out the boiler then refill.

Your a star mate, thanks!! That’s exactly what the manual says.

I thought i would just double check the wiring and see the thermister. I looked at the location in the manual and when checking the boiler, there is now DHW thermister, I can see the CH one but there is definitely no DHW one and no location for it.

I then went back to the manual which covers a few different ideal mini’s and I then noticed that the s24 doesn’t have one, so now I’m stumped!!

:(

Morning all,

Does anyone have any advice?

It’s remained stable over the weekend, seems a higher temp setting keeps it working but I’m sure it will fail again.

Thanks.
Yes.Put boiler in bin.

Your looking at a manual for the Combi not the system.
So there is only one on the S24 change it.

And recharge your expansion vessel while you are at it, look in the FAQs on how to do it

Hi Guys, thank you!!

I've got BG coming out for a routine service as part of my homecare package so I'll get them to do the recahrge, I think they did this last time around.

I changed the thermister but no difference, the old one was a bit black mind.

I have since got closer to the issue, it seems that giving the tray which holds the PCB's a tap gets the boiler to fire when it initially doesn't.

I pulled the tray out, set the boiler to come on, it makes a whirring sound as normal but when it should fire, it doesn't, so I tap the PCB area and hey presto, it fires up!

There are 2 PCB boards, one of them looks to have 3 relay looking things on and one looks a little black inside on the clear case.

I'm not sure which PCB is the issue but the relay one seems a good start.

looks like this

biasi_m90_s24_ideal_mini_c28_main_pcb_c320788_pc905.500.JPG

Hi Guys, thank you!!

I've got BG coming out for a routine service as part of my homecare package so I'll get them to do the recahrge, I think they did this last time around.

I changed the thermister but no difference, the old one was a bit black mind.

I have since got closer to the issue, it seems that giving the tray which holds the PCB's a tap gets the boiler to fire when it initially doesn't.

I pulled the tray out, set the boiler to come on, it makes a whirring sound as normal but when it should fire, it doesn't, so I tap the PCB area and hey presto, it fires up!

There are 2 PCB boards, one of them looks to have 3 relay looking things on and one looks a little black inside on the clear case.

I'm not sure which PCB is the issue but the relay one seems a good start.

looks like this

biasi_m90_s24_ideal_mini_c28_main_pcb_c320788_pc905.500.JPG
Wasting your money,and time

Why?

It's £35 for a refurb PCB and I'm selling the property very soon. No point replacing something that works when a cheap fix is available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back