Ideal standard dual flush leaking water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi after some advice on our ideal standard dual flush toilet in our en suite.

We noticed yesterday that there's a slow flow of water running down the bowl.

I've had a look inside and thought it would just be a case of tightening the valve screw in the adjusting float but it hasn't stopped the flow.

If I lift the valve float arm up it stops the water!

Any ideas on what it could be?

I've currently drained almost all the water right down to the seals and there's still a trickle flow seal gone maybe?
107us09.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you've isolated the inlet valve (so no water is entering the cistern) and there's still flow into the bowl/pan then the flush mechanism is "letting by" which is likely due to it not being 'seated' properly in the bottom - usually down to a bit of debris stopping it!
Twist or unclip the flush and remove from the base of the cistern, rinse the bottom of it in the basin with warm water and clean any limescale off of rubber seals. Open inlet valve to cistern and use the incoming water to wash any debris out of bottom of cistern and into pan, use a sponge if bits of limescale at base of cistern.
If your inlet valve is not shutting off on its own when float reaches top then there may also be dirt in the diaphragm - you'll need to carefully dismantle this and clean also! Should be some YouTube vids to aid you!
Good luck (y)

I cant get access to the inlet valve its at a ridiculous angle at the back underside of the toilet.

Any ideas?
2k251x.jpg

Oh! That's really useful int it :mad:
You'll have to either prop/tie up ball float for flush cleaning or isolate elsewhere for servicing the inlet valve. If the wc is mains fed, use your main stopcock. If tank fed you'll need to see if there's a gate/lever valve to stop the supply or bung up the outlet from the cold water storage tank with a carrot - prepare for cold hands!

Sponsored Links
1trl2x.jpg

At the moment the water level is just above the black seals but theirs still a flow into the bowl although ive tightened the screw on the valve float arm so no more water is coming in

I've managed to turn the water off at the mains fingers crossed haha

Last edited:
Right i've managed to clean the seal which had a little gunk around the edges nothing major and sprayed limescale remover on everything then rinse with hot water.

It's still leaking???? :(

The seals fine if I place if I place it in on its own no water gets through to the bowl, however once I reattach it to the flush it leaks again??

Could the water be getting in through the bit above the black seal or is that supposed to come off?

Would it be a case of order a new seal?

345ztcx.jpg

i2pz46.jpg

Last edited:
Right ive changed the seal which has helped but there's still a flow of water.

I've noticed that when i lift the ball cock right up i can still hear a slight noise and upon leaving it 5 mins noticed the water level is still rising :eek: slowly

Could the washer or is it diaphragm be worn in the inlet valve? and would it be this ?

280ijqb.jpg

By bowl, do you mean cistern?
If the float arm is not stopping water from filling up the cistern then the torbeck valve is letting by ... Clean it out or replace with new. If the cistern fills but immediately starts passing water to the pan, then the flush valve is letting by... Clean it out or replace with new.

I think im going to have to get another valve it wont stop filling up now .

The model ive got atm is a Skylo Unifill 4 in 1 Float Valve

Will i have to disconnect the brass fitting or can i just screw the new fitting on top?

23nuqe.jpg

Plumbcenter do those washers , no need to replace the whole valve , I think they are called hush flow washers

We ended up replacing the flush valve cost us just over £12 and its stopped the leak now (y)

All i need to do now is loosen the pipes behind the toilet and turn the shut off valve round slightly so its easier to get access to

You should or replaced it with a fluid master ..... As the top half ( workings ) canbe changed just by shutting water off

Is fluid master a more reliable brand?

the valve wasn't shutting off the water even if i wedged the ball cock

I fit them religiously ,,, mine has been in my house for 6 years ,,, no problems ,,, and if it needs replacing all you need to do it shut water off , unlock a collar , slip out old and slot in new

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back