Ideas for loft hatch and ladder

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to use our loft for storage and need to board it out but first I need to sort out access.

Our hatch is on our landing, which is tiny (the photo I've taken is from the top step of the stairs).

Is my only solution to move it somewhere else?

9B7B36FE-1407-4622-A9DD-5BA3C50C8AD8.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Is my only solution to move it somewhere else?

I'm guessing the landing is just a small square one, between the two doors, which makes it an awkward one. The ladder base would have to extend through one of those doors and you would be banging your head on the door frame going up it.

The other way would be for the ladder to extend towards the stairs, but I'm assuming that wall at the top of the stair, is the outside wall - that would preclude (because of the wall) using the usual type of ladder, where it would expect to be pushed up and away from you.

The hatch size is fine to squeeze through, unless you are especially large. You could maybe investigate a permanent ladder fixed vertically up that wall as a solution. You can buy ready made wooden ones, which are of the type which mean you have to go up them with your feet in the correct order - they have a alternating ledges for your feet, hit and miss. They are impossible to use with anything in your hands, you need both hands to cling on.

Like this, but a vertical version, fixed all the way up to the wall - http://www.stairplan.com/bespoke_spacesaver.htm

In my loft I have a pulley block and rope fixed to a rafter, plus a strong bucket. With that I can safely winch items up and down.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back